ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking for P2p file sharing for personal use

<< < (7/22) > >>

Ampa:
I wonder whether Opera Unite is a solution? If the file sharing module is too simplisitc at the moment, you may have to wait and see what other widgets are developed for it. But the basic idea would mean you could share your files through the browser.

app103:
Even PowerFolder relies on online storage to achieve its functions. The only difference is you are using their servers instead of your own FTP server or a webDAV-type account.
-Innuendo (June 14, 2009, 06:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

If that is the case, then why not a Dropbox shared folder? Anything dropped in the folder is automatically sent to everyone the folder is shared with (you have full control over who you share with). And anything deleted from the folder is automatically deleted from the folder on all the PC's the folder is shared with. (a backup remains in dropbox account, just in case you need to restore it, and you can delete the backups from your account, from their website). And there is versioning for files, too.

And it's cross platform (win/mac/*nix)

You can set it up with a single account shared with multiple PC's you control (just add another pc to your profile) and you'd have full access to any data stored in any of your dropbox subfolders. (good for syncing files between multiple locations)

Or multiple accounts (friends/coworkers) in which case you'd invite them to share the folder and that would be the only folder they could access your files from. (good for sharing files with other people)

And they start you off with 2G of storage for free. But if some one gives you a referral link, you get an extra 250mb (and they do too)

If you want to go that route, you can use my referral link: https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTY4NDg1Mzk

kartal:
app103, I need to make sure most of my folders are in sync. They are quite big from 10gb to 100 gb. The second reason I would not use dropbox or similar solutions is that it is an overkill to use online services to sync some files. My last reason for not using them is because I do not like online services, just a personal taste problem.

Innuendo:
Just thinking outside the box here, since we can't seem to find something new for you to use what if we fixed what was lacking in your current solution? If the only thing missing from the PowerFolder version you are using now is encryption would it be possible to run the internet connections between your syncing PCs through a VPN tunnel? That'd eliminate anyone being able to 'eavesdrop' on your data streams.

kartal:
Innuendo, actually encryption and big brother is no my main problems. the free version of Powerfolder has 3 folders-10 gb limit.

Althou your suggestion sounds interesting if it is something doable I would definetely use it. I use Vpn(client side) with my client but I never setup any vpn server-tunneling stuff myself.Is it hard to do?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version