ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is your prefered source of registry tweaks?

<< < (5/6) > >>

sajman99:
Those users without extensive computer experience should not go fiddling around in the registry like it's some theme park of thrills. Rather than taking unnecessary risk, those folks (admittedly like myself) are well advised to use established tools like CCleaner and tools which are specifically designed to fine-tune/tweak their systems. For a couple examples:

TweakUI etc. at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx  
Tweak N' Tune etc. at http://www.acelogix.com/freeware.html  

tinjaw: Sorry if this isn't the sites/books you were actually seeking, but like they always say "safety first".

Edit: XP user here- perhaps not "modern", but stable and solid as a rock.

cranioscopical:
It's common sense that Microsoft will learn tricks as time goes on and will make improvements to their code.
-Innuendo (June 30, 2009, 03:29 PM)
--- End quote ---
Shame it's in such short supply. ;)

PPLandry:
My favorite tweak is to change the keyboard layout mapping to be just... perfect  :-*

ref: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/w2kscan-map.mspx

Innuendo:
Those users without extensive computer experience should not go fiddling around in the registry like it's some theme park of thrills.-sajman99
--- End quote ---

Laughs...never heard it put quite that way, but it's 100% true. The Windows registry is the OS's central nervous system. One editing mistake in the wrong place will render your OS unbootable. Newbies should tread with care.

XP user here- perhaps not "modern", but stable and solid as a rock.
--- End quote ---

I don't think I ever spoke badly of how stable XP is. It's a fine OS and I even recommend some people use it instead of Vista. I was just trying to convey the point that an OS that's 8-9 years old isn't going to have all the capabilities that the latest and greatest has & that some of the things one needed to tweak on XP are no longer necessary.

MilesAhead:
Those users without extensive computer experience should not go fiddling around in the registry like it's some theme park of thrills.-sajman99
--- End quote ---

Laughs...never heard it put quite that way, but it's 100% true. The Windows registry is the OS's central nervous system. One editing mistake in the wrong place will render your OS unbootable. Newbies should tread with care.
-Innuendo (July 01, 2009, 09:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmmmmm this reminds me learning assembler.  A lot of the books and articles warned that if you made a mistake there would be "unpredictable results" or some other scare phrase conjuring up visions of impending doom.  What it amounted to was if I locked it up, I had to cycle the power, and a file or two might get corrupted(or gasp! I might have to put in the Dos disk and do a sys c:)

You never learn if you never take a risk.  Just back up what you can. It's your machine after all!!(just don't practice while accessing my online banking please) :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version