ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

IE to be removed from Windows 7 in EU

<< < (4/6) > >>

cranioscopical:
Have I got this straight, that MS plans to include a free banana with every copy of W7 sold in the EU?

fenixproductions:
I don't know why you assume such maliciousness. The EU has anti-monopoly laws to maintain competition within the market. MS broke those laws and got fined. It's not about throwing weight around.-Eóin (June 12, 2009, 08:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
I understand punishing them by pushing to not to deliver IE (same case as for WMP) but ordering to advertise competitors? This is just stupid.

And that banana thing was blown out of proportion. The original truth is nothing like the story reported in blogs and the media, no surprise there.-Eóin (June 12, 2009, 08:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
If no one knows what is it all about… it is about money. Of course "bananas case" had different cause (IIRC something about import) but was blown up by media out of proportions. Same case with MS is happening now. I understand that there were serious anti-monopoly "things" but it got mixed because of EC and media silliness. MS is playing "who's more stupid" game now.

If I were in MS shoes, instead of pulling IE out of Windows (as it is so much part of the OS), I would just include FireFox, Opera and Chrome with Windows. It is IMHO a much more elegant solution to this issue.-PPLandry (June 12, 2009, 10:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
Not really. Why should anybody advertise competitors for free?

I am not businessman but as far as I understand: the basic rule in marketing of "My stuff is the best!". You can never say that someone does things better because this is the first step to suicide.

I still think that pushing MS to provide browsers other than their own would be too much.

On the other hand, there is no rule which browsers should be supplied. Percentage rule? How popular your browser should be? In zillions of downloads or percentage of market share? Who will give advice? Google Analytics or maybe stat24?  Does "IE" means Internet Explorer together with his offspring? If not, how do you measure Maxthon chances for getting into list? And if there is no scoring than how long the list should be to stop the world from complaining or to satisfy EC officials? 4? 10? zillions?

nosh:
I think bundling IE on a separate disk would be a good solution to a fcuked up situation. Can anyone cite an instance of a corporation being compelled to promote its competition? It seems completely unfair and other than MS it's Joe user (who would given the choice, probably pay a little more to avoid additional headaches) who's at the receiving end of this farce.

rgdot:
If there is to be something anti-MS domination it should be making computers loaded with alternate OSes more available at the retail point. Removing IE  is pointless.
Where I am, Canada, that could have a positive effect on Apple market share but other OSes (linux based or whatever) will be nudged further onto the desktop and that is a good thing.

Lashiec:
Remember this is a solution proposed by Microsoft, and thus has not been accepted by the EU, and the rest of the browsers makers involved in the case. And it would be WRONG to accept it. Not only it does not solve anything, it f**** users in the process while giving Microsoft an advantage in browser distribution with their proposed 'channels'. Seriously, how difficult is to display a window the first time the user tries to access the Internet showing all the possible alternatives (there are not so many after all)? I assume IE controls will still be bundled with Windows (otherwise, tons of apps will break), so all you have to do is set up a page and show it up there.

Still, even if you choose a middle ground to keep everyone happy, what's the point? I understand Opera's original complain, and I also understand Mozilla and Google backing it up, but this is 2009 not 199x. You only have to take a look at market share numbers all over Europe to see that IE is receiving some serious beating by Firefox in many countries, heck, even by Opera in Eastern Europe. I think fair competition has been more than restored since IE's rise to prominence in the late 90s and the subsequent lock on the market.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version