ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Need to downsample multiple page .tiffs - any suggestions??

(1/1)

Lolipop Jones:
I have several hundred .tif files which were created by feeding pages into an office printer/scanner set at 600 dpi.  Each file is 30-50 pages long.

Now I need to downsample them to 300 dpi (don't ask why.....grrrrrrrr) and if possible I sure don't want to have to unpack each file into its separate pages, resample them one page at a time, and then repack.

Anyone on DC know of a program that will downsample a multi page .tif as a single file?  Doesn't have to be free but needs to be reasonable ($150 or less)

thanks!!!

Curt:
- I would say IrfanView should be able to batch convert the collection, but I don't know, as I don't have any .tifs.

File > Batch Conversion/Rename... > Output Format + Use Advanced Options > set DPI Value > Miscellaneous > Apply Changes To All Pages if TIF saving

:tellme:

40hz:
If all else fails, ImageMagick :-* ( www.imagemagick.org ) will do that using the following command line:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
convert -resample 300x300 original_filename.tiff new_filename.tiff
------------------------------------------------------------------------

This command basically says: convert the designated TIFF file by resampling it @ 300X300 DPI and saving it with the supplied new name. This ation will not affect the image size. If you start with an 8½ x 11 image @ 600DPI, you'll end up with an 8½ x 11 image @ 300 DPI .

Note: ImageMagick is a bit on the geeky side (i.e. command line) so I'd definitely go with Curt's suggestion and try IrfanView first. Especially since setting up a script to do batch processing in ImageMagick might be a chore if you don't have much scripting experience. IrfanView is a lot easier to get a handle on, and has a fairly straight forward batch conversion feature.

Plus, it has a GUI! :) (Yay!)

Luck!

tabletguy:
Well, many OCR programs will do that for example, and you'd end up owning a useful program also.

I use ReadIris Pro, which automatically will downres tiffs, etc. Then, just resave as a new multi-page tiff. Takes about 2 seconds total (or less) for 50 pages on version 12. Version 11 also does it, but just a little slower.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version