ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Recreate files but without content to target drive

<< < (8/11) > >>

lastgasp:
The customisable temp folder setting works but strangely the resulting temp.zip is always empty!  I tried different settings on four computers all resulting in an empty temp.zip.  The only exception is if I leave the temp folder setting blank\default then it creates the temp.zip correctly.  But of course this temp.zip does not contain all the files because of the 255 limit.   :(

BTW thanks for "Files 2 Folder" I love that!

skwire:
What are you using for the temp folder value?

lastgasp:
Besides "leave blank for default" I has used a couple of dozen variations including root drives.  I have tried putting temp folder on usb flash, ssd sata, and in windows 7 a RAM disk.  Except for "leave blank for default" option all produce an empty temp.zip.  I have tried changing the name from temp.zip to other names.  I have tried to put the destination zip in various places with no luck.

I have opened the the 1kb temp.zip in notepad and get this some that looks like this  PK |-   not exactly though because I ca't get the last 2 characters to copy and paste.

skwire:
Try this build, please:  Zero Zipper v1.0.5.5

lastgasp:
The temp.zip is working correctly now.  But I found that sometimes the file count inside the temp.zip was wrong.  Some files were still being omitted from the temp.zip. This was a mystery that I wanted to solve so I tested many folders.  Customizing the temp folder location eliminated file name length as a problem. Using Windows 7 windows explorer I found files with question marks inside of a black diamond instead of a recognizable character\number.   I searched "question mark inside of a black diamond" and I found something called a Unicode Character 'REPLACEMENT CHARACTER' .

wikipedia entry is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_Specials#Replacement_character

I mostly use a Windows Xp machine so it took a while to figure it out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version