ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Recreate files but without content to target drive

<< < (7/11) > >>

lastgasp:
I have been looking for something like Zero zipper for a long time.  My goal being to create catalogs of offline drives\folders (including files!) without needing any special software to read the "catalog" - just any filemanager.   I have run into a problem though where sometimes a few dummy files are not included in the zip.  I think the problem is the 255 character limit in Windows.  Since Zero Zipper uses in my case "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\$$$$$20120220035412_ZeroZipper_temp".

Could you add an option so I can choose a temp folder located on the C root drive?

thank you!

Ath:
Welcome to DonationCoder, lastgasp,

so I can choose a temp folder located on the C root drive?
-lastgasp (February 20, 2012, 03:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
You can normally do that by setting the TMP (and sometimes TEMP) environment variable to the desired location (f.e. set TMP=C:\TMP), just before starting the application. A simple batchfile could be a way to do that.

lastgasp:
I changed the temp file as suggested and got a much better result.  Sadly I still lost some files.  The temp folder looks like this "C:\TEMP\$$$$$20120220122310_ZeroZipper_temp" .  Various test with zero zipper seem to confirm that the problem is the 255 limit.  Perhaps if "C:\TEMP\$$$$$20120220122310_ZeroZipper_temp" could be shorten to something like "C:\TEMP\Zero_temp" or even shorter it would would not skip any files.

Also I would like to use Zero Zipper on other peoples computers and would not be comfortable changing their temp file location folder.  I feel like I'm asking too much but if Zero Zipper could be revised to deal with my issues it would very much change my life.  I took a USB flash drive and formatted it to NTFS which allows Everything for Windows from voidtools.com to read the USN Journal and thus created a "dummy drive". I'm hoping to put several "dummy drives" on a single USB flash drive.  Since both Everything for Windows and Zero Zipper are portable I dream of having a complete catalog of all my drive in one USB flash.

thanks!

MilesAhead:
Also I would like to use Zero Zipper on other peoples computers and would not be comfortable changing their temp file location folder.
--- End quote ---

When you set an environment variable on the command line, that only lasts until you close the prompt.  Try it yourself. Open a command prompt. Type
set temp=c:\temp

then type
echo %temp%

Then exit the command prompt. Open another command prompt and type
echo %temp%

It should show the original temp directory, not c:\temp.

I just did it on Windows 7 and it still works as expected.

skwire:
Hi, lastgasp, and welcome to the site.  Please give this test build a try:  Zero Zipper v1.0.5.2

This version has a customisable temp folder setting but let me explain how it works.  You specify the folder to use and Zero Zipper will then create a folder with a really short name (basically, the first number from one that doesn't exist) and use that to create the zero-byte structure.  So, if you specify something like c:\tmp, the actual folder that will be used will be something like c:\tmp\1.  This allows me to work within a new, empty folder and easily delete it when finished zipping it.  At any rate, give this version a shot and let me know how it goes.  Thanks and sorry for the late reply.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version