ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

FreewareMission.com: 94 Great Freeware Programs For A Freeware Only PC

<< < (2/5) > >>

tomos:
I think the best would be to have two separate groups for raster (called i.e. "photo editor") od vector graphics.
-fenixproductions (June 08, 2009, 05:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

absolutely, unless they've changed directions drastically lately

Hah, funnily enough, further down the list
> BEST FREE VECTOR GRAPHICS PROGRAM
> Inkscape - great open source vector graphics editor, a free alternative to the expensive Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw.

no alternatives offered :)

fenixproductions:
Hah, funnily enough, further down the list
> BEST FREE VECTOR GRAPHICS PROGRAM
> Inkscape - great open source vector graphics editor, a free alternative to the expensive Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw.

no alternatives offered :)
-tomos (June 08, 2009, 05:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

They can always mention crippled Draw from OO.org or InsightPoint ;)

4wd:
While it is interesting to look at what programs are listed on these 'xx Great/Best Freeware' sites for things that I might find new, I don't think I can take any of them seriously as soon as they mention 'Best Codec Pack'.

I have more trouble over the years with PCs because someone thought, "Oh, I need this codec pack to play this file.", which then installs a lot of other rubbish that's not required and screws up whatever codec's are already installed.

fenixproductions:
I have more trouble over the years with PCs because someone thought, "Oh, I need this codec pack to play this file.", which then installs a lot of other rubbish that's not required and screws up whatever codec's are already installed.-4wd (June 08, 2009, 07:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I share the same opinion. I saw a lot of cases of screwed up multimedia handling on various PCs due so called "codec packs". Few years ago, the most common "problem" was "something bi-cubic resizer" IIRC. That is why I recommend ffdshow only (rarely: qt/real alternatives). If someone breaks his system by running something against my "rules", I don't bother to help such user. I am bad, baaad person. I know. But it keeps me safe from headaches ;)

johnnykarpat:
Hello mouser and thanks for mentioning my humble blog :) I tried to correct some of the errors that you people mentioned, thanks for poiting them out. This list is mainly focused on the average PC user, I wanted to give people some good solid free alternatives to the paid software that they are normally using. I intend to publish a new updated list in December since I'll be trying to test other freeware programs until then.
Thanks again for your suggestions and criticism, I'll do better in the future. ;)

Johnny Karp, freewaremission.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version