ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Battery Backup - Get One

<< < (9/9)

Stoic Joker:
So, having it on the highest of authorities that only a pristine ground is needed to heal all woes. I refrained from replacing the derisively referred to as a "Plug-in Protection" device with its evil hollow claims to defend my server from anything ... Even tho I am well aware that the hicks around here just love to flick the power on & off now and then; not to mention letting the line voltage crawl around like a moth on crack. Just to see what would actually happen (as if I didn't already know...).

Completely ignoring the fact that my previously flawless (5 year running) 99.995% uptime record immediately plunged to 70 something. I waited until I had a better more conclusive looking number, which I've attached below:

Hint: The Zero Byte .vhd file used to be an 8GB Windows 2003 Mail Server. Now a through diagnostic of all hardware clearly shows that there is absolutely nothing wrong with any of the hardware. It is all in perfect (physical) working condition. Unfortunately the excessive number of soft errors caused by (randomly) power cycling the box while under load had a rather adverse effect on the file system.

Hence I will at this point happily concede that with "proper grounding" no physical harm can or will befall ones computer. Which IMO would be an absolutely flawless conclusion, except for one minor detail ... The damn thing ain't decorative. Having a large chunk of ones data completely trashed is (sadly...) just not an acceptable outcome.

So thus ends my do servers really need clean power experiment...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version