ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Good TV series. What do you watch? I used to watch Lost to unwind need successor

<< < (9/21) > >>

Innuendo:
Wraith, that's a fair enough assessment for some people. Babylon 5 was a space opera on a massive scale. There was lots of groundwork for later plotpoints in early episodes that would leave you wondering, "What's that got to do with the price of tea in China?" and then 3 or 5 or 10 episodes down the line it'd be, "Ohhh! That's what *that* meant!!".

It probably wouldn't fare too well in today's climate of ADD-oriented, instant-gratification TV viewing.

40hz:
+1 on Weeds. Especially the first and most of the second season. It went a little over the top after that and (to me) it felt like the screenwriters lost control of the plot. I stopped watching it after that. I don't know if they got it back later in the series.

wraith808:
Wraith, that's a fair enough assessment for some people. Babylon 5 was a space opera on a massive scale. There was lots of groundwork for later plotpoints in early episodes that would leave you wondering, "What's that got to do with the price of tea in China?" and then 3 or 5 or 10 episodes down the line it'd be, "Ohhh! That's what *that* meant!!".

It probably wouldn't fare too well in today's climate of ADD-oriented, instant-gratification TV viewing.
-Innuendo (June 10, 2009, 01:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

But the funny thing is, I like shows like that! :(  I love all of the Whedon stuff where he pulls from older episodes and especially unfinished business (Niska was a piece of work!).  I don't like episodic stuff; I prefer long ranging arcs where things have meaning, which is the reason that DS9 was my fave Star Trek.  In books, I devour epic series like A Song of Ice and Fire.  B5 just didn't catch me for some reason...

40hz:
I don't know if this pricing is available nationwide, but I noticed WalMart where I live has the first 4 seasons of 24 on sale for $20 each.

If you're a fan of 24, maybe now is the time to stock up? :)

MilesAhead:
A very different show was Nowhere Man.  Unforunately or fortunately, depending on your point of view, it was only one season.  I got the entire show on a DVD set from Deep Discount DVD for $30.  I wish they used maybe one more DVD to get a little better bitrate.  But you could watch it.  The plot was unique. Not the usual boiler plate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version