ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall SPECIAL INTRO PRICING $14.95

<< < (2/2)

Carol Haynes:
Not sure,at that price though i purchased a license,going to install in a minute,give it a test drive.It's difficult finding
a firewall these days as other threads have made the point.I'm going to bang on it a while.
...Here goes nothing (or everything :-\)

Ah,at the bottom of this page,the chart implies a free version is still availible
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm
-tinyvillager (December 20, 2005, 05:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Let us know how you get on.

Innuendo:
That's a good price from a good company. I don't know if everyone knows the story of Kerio, but they are the guys who were the original team behind the wildly successful Tiny Firewall back when it was tiny. Those programmers left Tiny & formed their own company (Kerio) and Tiny had to bring in a new team for their firewall & that's when the bloat began and the ease of use declined.

I've never used any of Sunbelt's stuff, but I hear good things about their products as well. The way Sunbelt is handling this acquisition should be a lesson to others who love to do corporate take-overs....are you listening Symantec??

tinyvillager:
Well things are going badly.First off i'm running this beside Boclean and F-prot.

During configuring packet filters i got a wicked BSOD.After manually rebooting,
i'm back at it again.It's resource hungry,runs two instances of it's gui :huh:
and kpfss, a third resource.I've tried to kill one of the gui instances and it
pops back up.These all run while minimized.I'm not liking it.I've also tried
Sunbelts CounterSpy,oh my dear lord,run away quickly.To it's credit it
found some weatherbug spyware crap that realplayer install.That aside
the thing wants to be to many different applications in one.I want a spyware
cleaner,not a partial firewall and registry tweaker,etc. all chugging along at
like 50 mb of ram, no thank.I really want to like Sunbelts products, they look
like a very dedicated group,i've visited their blogs,forums,etc.But their apps
are just schizophrenic.

Innuendo:
I didn't like CounterSpy, either. It's GUI was a little strange and their pricing structure is not the best, either if I remember correctly.

mrainey:
Regarding RAM usage, Sunbelt had this to say in CounterSpy news a while back:

"The most recent update of CounterSpy, although extremely effective has some attributes that are being addressed and fixed especially with regards to Active Protection taking up too much memory and/or spiking the CPU. An upcoming patch release will help but not resolve this issue completely.

CounterSpy 1.5 can take up a lot of memory because frankly it is "smarter" than previous versions. We have upgraded tens of thousands of users, and some issues are to be expected. We are diligently working to resolve these. The core of the problem is the Giant engine which we inherited from our previous relationship with Giant Software. We will be replacing it with a new engine with an estimated shipping date of late December."

http://www.counterspynews.com/?issue=15

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version