ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Weird Window When Computer Boots Up

<< < (8/9) > >>

40hz:
OK. Let's see if we can help you get this fixed.

If the only problem is activation, then purchasing a new full copy of WindowsXP will solve that problem.

If you lost your original disks - and have no way of getting a replacement CD for the Home Edition you paid for when you bought your PC - then buying a new copy will be your only option.

I'm not happy that the tech didn't warn you about what would happen if you couldn't supply him/her with your original software (i.e. that you'd need to buy a new copy) - but that's the way it goes. (Also a good reason to put your disks someplace where you can find them.)

So to recap - buying and installing a new copy of Windows XP will solve your activation problem.

I also think your tech should do the reinstall for free.

Especially since you've already been billed for the service. And also because any tech worthy of the name already knew you wouldn't be able to legally activate the copy he put on your machine.

If there's anything else you need clarified, just post it here. Or send me a personal message. I know how frustrating it can be having a machine down when you're trying to go online and pay bills with it.

:Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker:
I'll 2nd that (wr975), No machine ever leaves our shop without activation and all security updates installed. Make Them Fix It.

It takes all of 3 sec to verify activation, that should not have left the shop.
-Stoic Joker (June 06, 2009, 11:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Both of you are most likely correct, however I am a fatalist and pretty much expect such sloppy service! I always prefer to know how to do it myself.  :)

Jim
-J-Mac (June 06, 2009, 11:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
Me too, that's how I got to where I'm at now. But the guy's story sounded (and later proves to be) a incorrect media licensing issue. Which the "Tech" should have known better and never created. So foisting an angry consumer on them to further their (Um...) education seemed the more "profitable" route (did I mention I have a mean streak?) in the long run.

40hz:
Me too, that's how I got to where I'm at now. But the guy's story sounded (and later proves to be) a incorrect media licensing issue. Which the "Tech" should have known better and never created. So foisting an angry consumer on them to further their (Um...) education seemed the more "profitable" route (did I mention I have a mean streak?) in the long run.
-Stoic Joker (June 07, 2009, 09:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

>:D I like your mean streak SJ!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

But then again, where would I be without disgruntled chain-store tech service customers? I've gotten quite a bit of business around where I live thanks to them screwing up royally on business customers.

(Personally, I hope they never learn. ;) )

J-Mac:
OK. Let's see if we can help you get this fixed.

If the only problem is activation, then purchasing a new full copy of WindowsXP will solve that problem.

If you lost your original disks - and have no way of getting a replacement CD for the Home Edition you paid for when you bought your PC - then buying a new copy will be your only option.

I'm not happy that the tech didn't warn you about what would happen if you couldn't supply him/her with your original software (i.e. that you'd need to buy a new copy) - but that's the way it goes. (Also a good reason to put your disks someplace where you can find them.)

So to recap - buying and installing a new copy of Windows XP will solve your activation problem.

I also think your tech should do the reinstall for free.

Especially since you've already been billed for the service. And also because any tech worthy of the name already knew you wouldn't be able to legally activate the copy he put on your machine.

If there's anything else you need clarified, just post it here. Or send me a personal message. I know how frustrating it can be having a machine down when you're trying to go online and pay bills with it.

:Thmbsup:

-40hz (June 07, 2009, 07:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think moranacus should just purchase an inexpensive new computer instead.

Consider that he just spent $243 on a SEVEN year old computer and will now probably have to spend another $150+ for a new XP disk IF he can find one (I only see System Builder versions being sold lately).

IMO it makes no sense to sink another dime into his current machine.

Jim

moranacus:
I actually know where the original WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION CD is.
Its in a box in storage. How hard will it be for me to wipe my hard drive
and install this myself????
I'm worried that I would mess something up.
Also, if I do this am I going to need my drivers for my sound card,video
card and mother board???? They are different from when I first got the computer.
I didn't this need when the tech reinstalled it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version