ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

ServerFault.com

(1/3) > >>

Ehtyar:
For those of you who don't read CodingHorror (start NOW!), Joel Spolsky and Jeff Atwood have just released StackOverflow's sister site, ServerFault.com to the public. This site uses the same engine as StackOverflow, except it's geared toward sysadmins. Very awesome stuff. There is, of course, already a sysadmin jokes thread.

Ehtyar.

f0dder:
For those of you who don't read CodingHorror (start NOW!)-Ehtyar (June 03, 2009, 01:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, it's a great laugh seeing "Jeff discovers <X>, implementing it wrong" :Thmbsup:

Ehtyar:
Anyway...

<RANT WARNING, RANT WARNING>

Typically I totally avoid web 2.0 completely, but ServerFault sounds like (and is) a really great site. Having said that, I've found a few things that piss me off about this site (and its attempt at being web 2.0) that I just can't keep to myself.

* Forcing OpenID is just plain retarded, and massively out of touch. Surely any technically competent person knows this technology is going in exactly the wrong direction.
* Using gravatar for avatars exclusively? Sucks!!
* Reinventing bbcode for no apparent reason whatsoever? Made of suck!!
* The number of restrictions and CAPTCHAs placed on new users? Made of lots of suck.
* Using AJAX to update everything except the front page? Priceless.
Not only did I have to get an OpenID to join this site (until someone explains to me just how this shit is supposed to work, and just what is supposed to happen when your account is breached, I consider it a MASSIVE dickhead technology), but if I want my pic on the site, I need to sign up to another friggin site? One would think 3 ad blocks on every page would buy you some space on your server, especially considering your avatar is 32x32.

</RANT WARNING, RANT WARNING>

HOWEVER, I am very much enjoying contributing to the site. I managed to earn two badges and 100 rep in around 2 hours on the site, which makes me feel like my contribution is appreciated and brings me back to help out more. I do like the way they've made certain everyone understand what the site is for, and the question/answer model that would eventually crumble in a typical forum architecture. My vote is a yay, but only because the site is based on a well formed concept.

Ehtyar.

f0dder:
If more sites supported OpenID and gravatar, it would be a really nifty thing - I'm tired of maintaining passwords for a zillion sites (and damned if I use the same multiple sites, considering how many places use unsafe password storing practices!), and having to upload an avatar multiple places sucks as well. IMHO forcing these two isn't such a bad idea, and I wish more places would do so to get the technology spread.

But yeah, having to get an OpenID + gravatar account for just one site kinda sucks. And while OpenID single-signon is a really nice thing, I am also a bit concerned about the security implications. Definitely wouldn't use it for stuff like paypal or amazon to begin with.

And yup, reinventing bbcode is silly - especially because they (knowing Jeff's technical expertise) probably use regular expressions for parsing it ;)

Ehtyar:
If more sites supported OpenID and gravatar, it would be a really nifty thing - I'm tired of maintaining passwords for a zillion sites (and damned if I use the same multiple sites, considering how many places use unsafe password storing practices!)
-f0dder (June 03, 2009, 06:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
And here you are recommending the use of a single site to authenticate you on multiple sites.... I'm not sure being a bit concerned describes how I feel about it.

Still, I'm not saying this is all a bad idea, but forcing each of them on every single user is a little excessive IMHO.

Ehtyar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version