ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

FARR Unable to launch VirtualBox (and perhaps others) in Win7?

(1/3) > >>

dandersahn:
I've been using FARR with Windows 7 x64(both beta and RC) and have noticed that while for the most part it works just fine, there are certain very rare programs that it can't seem to launch.  The only example that I can provide at the moment (because it's the only one that I use enough to remember) is VirtualBox.  I have no idea why, but when I try to launch the VirtualBox Manager using FARR, either nothing happens (if the "Launch Method" is set to "Method 1 - ShellExecute") or Windows tells me that the path to the .lnk file does not exist (if the "Launch Method" is set to "Method 2 - ShellExcuteEx" [SIC]).  Both the path to the shortcut and the executable exist and the shortcut launches just fine using Explorer.  I can't figure out what is different about this program.  I've tried compatibility modes, security settings, etc.  Seems to be something with the path, but I can't figure it out.  Has anyone else seen anything like this?

mouser:
are there any spaces in the filename?
if you go look at the shortcut file, and right click on it and view properties, is it one of those shortcuts that doesn't link to an actual location?

dandersahn:
It's a completely normal shortcut with no spaces in the file name.  The path the the exe is:

"C:\Program Files\Sun\VirtualBox\VirtualBox.exe"

It was originally installed in:

"C:\Program Files\Sun\xVM VirtualBox\VirtualBox.exe"

I thought the "\xVM" might be causing a problem as \x is a hex character code escape sequence in Python (and perhaps other languages), but reinstalling in a different directory didn't help.

mouser:
thats very strange.. anyone else with virtualbox installed have this problem?

dandersahn:
Here's another program that does the exact same thing -- Paint.net. The same error is presented: "The specified path does not exist".  The path does exist.  The shortcut works find when launched via Explorer or the start menu.  It's a very standard looking target:

"C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.exe"

Only thing remotely notable is the "." in the folder name.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version