ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Search with Bing

<< < (2/5) > >>

OldElmerFudd:
I read Gizmo's review when he first published it. Followed his process and tried different searches using Google and Bing. My results were similar to his; Bing mostly didn't measure up.

Ironically, I saw the first "Bing" spot on one of the local network stations later that day. The campaign attempts to create FUD by warning against "search overload", with Bing as the ample bosom of care-free serenity. Even in a media-intensive market like Los Angeles, I thought it was a little over-the-top. Too bad Bing isn't, IMO.

tide:

P.S. i did a search but couldn't find any topics on this offering by Microsoft. :)
-lanux128 (June 01, 2009, 08:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Microsoft called it the "Decision Engine" but debuted it as "Bing" named after the lead developer. I guess they thought "bing" sounded better. Visit http://www.decisionengine.com/Default.html for more info or just bing "decision engine"

Stoic Joker:
I tend to search for part numbers and other obscure bits of information frequently. So I've been pitting Google & Bing against each other for a week or so to see who gets the most relevant hits. Bing has been ahead about 40% of the time. showing less total results but having more truly relevant hits bubbling to the top of the first page list.

Last weekend I use it to find some break parts (complete with printable OEM manuels & pricing) for my Harley (middle of page 2), which Google had burried on page 7 using the same query string.

sajman99:
I've used Google exclusively for as long as I can remember, but just lately I'm turning to Bing much more frequently. On some searches, Bing can make Google look bad by presenting more precise/relevant results.

With the meta-search engine Zuula, you can do the head-to-head comparison of Google and Bing and see for yourself.

zridling:
It's nice looking, but that's not what I need in a search engine. And since I'm Microsoft-free, I won't use it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version