ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

A Linux adventure: A Blog for linux newbees by a Linux Newbee...

<< < (4/4)

Dormouse:
Have to agree with Mouser.

I don't have a clear view on what is best, but would like more Linux posts/threads than we get now. Maybe that will happen with time anyway and what we have is just a reflection of what we are all using.

brotman:
Mouser and Doormouse,

When you refer to it as "Balkanization" I can sort of see your objections.  I personally don't see the problem as being significant. But then, I'm not responsible for maintaining this stuff, nor do I have your experience with the other boards and problems mentioned within this thread (and the other thread discussing this topic).  I'll leave this up to y'alls, and probably not bring it up again. B,ut if I may make a small suggestion... My main (initial)concern was that I felt awkward, trying to figure out where (or even if) to put my post regarding my nascent linux trials and tribulations.  It was unclear how it might be received.  I didn't want others to have the same doubts or confusion...

My point is: maybe this could be clarified (in the appropriate boards descriptions?)  I don't have very strong feelings one way or the other but if I had seen, in the "general software discussions" board a comment saying either "We don't need no stinking Linux" or "you are welcome put stuff relating to other OS'es or platforms here..."  I probably would never have felt the need to bring up the question of a child board...

Chuck

f0dder:
The reason I asked for a child board is because I felt uneasy putting an off-topic thread in a predominantly Windoze arena.-brotman (June 01, 2009, 12:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
Avoid terms like Windoze and Micro$oft and you'll be just fine :)

I'm against a zillion child boards, because it makes navigating the forum by board that much harder. The asmcommunity was a subforum explosion once, and the fragmentation certainly didn't work well there.

I don't see any problem in discussing other OSes than Windows in the general boards - why would it be a problem, as long as it's done in the generally nice and peaceful DonationCoder way?

zridling:
I've been using Linux exclusively for 2.5 years and I still consider myself a noob. I know my way around and can work myself out of most problems, but I can't tell you how much fun it has been to be free from Microsoft. I don't hate Windows, but I came to tire of Microsoft's behavior over the years. Having the alternative has been nice and it has freed up some much-needed cash in a variety of ways.

Good luck, Chuck. When you have time, visit some of the helpful Linux links I've compiled on my blog at http://www.thegsblog.com/ They might help you as you start.

brotman:
Great Blog, zridling! :)  Thanks for the pointer.  I'm sure I'll spend lots more tie perusing and learning over there!  :Thmbsup:

Chuck

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version