ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 7 evaluation

<< < (3/17) > >>

f0dder:
OK, tried the latest version of WoG (and darn that took a while to hunt down! 2dboy certainly doesn't make it easy to find the update patch, had to detour through their forums). Still freaks out in constant modeswitching, but if I manually hack the config file to my native resolution, it works in fullscreen (and the new version fixes some UI element positioning bugs that made it impossible to "flush the goo" (and thus advance) when you finished a level). When exiting WoG, some user elements in windows apps are corrupted until windows are refreshed... I wager this is a graphics driver bug. Modeswitching bug could be driver, win7, or WoG doing modeswitching in a quirky way.

Innuendo:
Well, thank God we fixed your goo flushing. :)

I ran WoG on Windows 7 with an ATI card and I didn't notice any corruption of anything on exit on my system.

steeladept:
Just for curiosity I loaded Windows 7 evaluation on a machine a few days ago. Since I don't have Vista on any of my machines it has been an interesting learning curve.
So far I don't see compelling reasons to switch from XP. I don't watch TV or movies from any of my PCs.
Anyone else have experience with this? Are there lots and lots of under the hood reasons it is better?
-DocSavage (May 29, 2009, 07:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
The biggest reason I see for switching is so you don't fall into the trap of waiting for something significantly better, then complaining the software doesn't work with XP.  It is over 10 years old now, and people have been writing for Vista/Win7 for over 3 years now.  With XP compatibility and virtualization available, I don't see much reason NOT to move besides cost or hardware that likely needs refreashed anyway (cost again really).  That said, other than forward compatibility and some relatively minor enhancements; no, I don't see any other compelling reasons to switch.

MilesAhead:
I've been using Vista since April 2007.  Before SP1 it was a pita.  Lots of services to reign in.  System hogs the HD something fierce.  When I got another machine with Vista64 SP1 the services were tuned, and it feels like W7 without a Superbar.  I could not get SP1 to go on my Vista 32 bit no matter what, so I put W7 7077 on as a fix for things like slow shell drag & drop copy.  I like W7 but I think a lot of people just gloss over the fact that the beta and eval versions are W7 Ultimate.  Most likely if you get your machine at Best Buy it will have the equivalent of Home Premium.  So it might not be so dazzling as compared to Vista64 Home Premium SP1.

That said, eventually you won't be able to get XP drivers for hw you want to use.  And, memory is going bigtime now.  A few hundred bucks in Best Buy and you have a desktop with 6 GB+ ram on the system.  Might as well run a 64 bit OS with modern drivers.  That means Vista/W7 64.

What I'd like to try is an evaluation copy of W7 Home Premium.  That would be a fairer test since I tend to get my PCs out of a box.  I don't own a soldering iron. :)

f0dder:
I guess I should find a Win7 version matrix (if it's available?) - for Vista, Ultimate didn't really have anything interesting for me, and the Business Premium (which our school offers for free) has everything I need. Expect it's going to be pretty much the same with Win7. I don't need media center, bitlocker, tablet support etc... just give me the basic functionality, Aero, GUI enhancements and don't put any silly limits on me (supported amount of ram, network connections, ...).

Innuendo: does your WoG handle fullscreen non-native resolutions? If so, then I'll write the problem off as a nvidia driver bug (although it's weird that other games in non-native resolution has no trouble going fullscreen).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version