ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Win Patrol Plus (Bits Du Jour- Fri) Chameleon Startup Manager, Startup Organizer

<< < (10/10)

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

Here are a few thoughts and observations.

First, Anvir Task Manager has been fairly impressive in its startup change warnings.  Not that I have done any systematic checking, I simply notice quite informative pop-ups.  More research needed, this issue of startup change monitoring could use its own little review discussion, since in some ways this is can be the primary security function. 

So .. Who catches everything ? Who catches real-time ? Who is fast and who is slow ? Who catches what when and how ?

Startup Organizer by Metaproducts has a nice skill in that regard.  Even if the program is shut off for days, when it comes back it puts all the changes in one box for review.  It is the only software I have seen that makes the changes very clear even if you didn't use the product for a week.

Also there is the issue of changing how programs startup.  Personally I like non-security programs in the Startup folder -- easy to see in a File Manager and easy to change user-by-user or all users at anytime in the file manager like Total Commander.  Others like registry startups, others like to leave it the way the program set it up. 

If I remember, Startup Organizer took your change from one mode to another quite well.  It is possible Chameleon and/or StartEd does this nicely, too (similar interfaces) it is an aspect that I would like to look into more.  Does the program actually delete the registry key and create the start entry smoothly ? And vica versa ?  Or am I asking too much ?

Shalom,
Steven Avery

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version