ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Photo Scanner Software

(1/4) > >>

Coeluh:
Hi There,

some time ago I was looking trough photo books with my girlfriend, and I thought: What if the house burns down. Those memories are extremely valuable. I've a scanner, this one:

The problem is: What software should I use? Could I use software so that I could scan like 3 pics at the same time? What is the most efficient way to do this?

There are many pictures, like 500~1000 of 'em.

cmpm:
Look up the model number at hp.com for the software.
If you already have the software, it's hit and miss for other software that will work with your model.
Some are free and some are not.

I had a nice 14 inch flatbed scanner given to me once, but no software. And I couldn't find any that would work for it. The software for it was around $60, almost the price of a new decent scanner. So I never did get the software.

Here's a list, there isn't much.

http://www.google.com/search?q=scanner+software&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Coeluh:
I was more tlalking about alternative software, which allows me to scan more than 1 image at the time because the default software sucks big time.

Shades:
Look up your scanner on the VueScan site. And I do understand your pain from using the default HP software.

I used to work with a similar sized and shaped model some 14 years ago. The software was a simple executable which had a basic looking layout and was fast. You could by a hardware device for it in which you could bundle a set of photographs, set the software settings up and the only thing you had to was pushing the start button and wait a little bit.

It was expensive and I don't know if HP still sells such devices for their current crop of scanners.

The funny thing is that my Windows installation is "nLite'd" and internet explorer has been removed. None of the current HP scanning software works without IE, I can tell you that much.

[rant]
Also why an update for scanner software has to be 124 MByte? And the work flow of the HP software has been "stupified" too such a degree it is not funny anymore and there is no option to turn this behavior off. Besides that, the result of scan is stored in several obscure places before it is stored in the default location. After it is copied the file is deleted from the previous storage location.

Why is this mess necessary?

Now I really want to know what the guys and girls and HP were smoking when they created this, maybe then I can see some fun in using their software.
[/rant]

Maybe you can find here what you are looking for:
http://www.twain.org/
http://www.dosadi.com

With the first link you can get a free TWAIN development kit, which includes a very basic tool (Twack) to scan with. But the software is old...to say the least.
The last one is far from free, but it supports script based ADF (Automatic Document Feed) when you have such a unit attached to your scanner.

Both links are more intended for programmers but with a little bit of luck all the tools you require are already there.

Coeluh:
I'm not a programmer... I would like to have software which is already done for me

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version