ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

"Check mail every ??? minutes"

<< < (3/7) > >>

Lashiec:
But Miranda interacts with your POP3 or IMAP account, yes? Then it has to check for mail every "X" minutes :)
-f0dder (May 26, 2009, 08:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

It would if my college mail account allowed access via one of those two protocols, but it lacks such feature, at least officially. And since that is the sole mail account I use that isn't tied to an IM service, well... :)

CleverCat:
I changed to a shorter time - from 15 to 3 mins in case my Brother in NZ sends me a message to "open Skype to chat!"  ;D

SKesselman:
I never use this feature. I've never wanted it. When I want my email, I just go get it. That's for personal use.

For work, I'd want to see each email as soon as possible. That way I never get behind.
Handle one email, send/receive, handle those new emails, etc. Again, the check mail feature isn't useful to me.
And if I'm expecting an important email, I just check it more often.

Pretty simple.

Really, I don't see the point unless you want notifications, which I find very distracting & annoying.

If, on the rare occasion my sister in New York invites me to skype with her, she sends me a text message.
If I thought she might send me an email to invite me to video chat, I'd go crazy sitting there hitting refresh every 5 seconds.
That could be all the time. I don't know how you manage like that, CleverCat!

f0dder:
Really, I don't see the point unless you want notifications, which I find very distracting & annoying.
-SKesselman (May 27, 2009, 04:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
I kind like them since I follow a bunch of forums. If I need to do serious and über-concentrated work (like, being close to a project deadline) I shut down my mail client and instant-messenger stuff though. But for regular work and computer use, I don't get distracted much by IM or mail notifications.

mrainey:
I sell and support software.  Orders and support queries come in by email.  I like to know about them immediately, not just when I remember to check my email.  It's not unusual to receive an order and a "where's my stuff" email within five minutes of each other.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version