ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What makes an application "useful"?

<< < (2/4) > >>

mouser:
I have a hair trigger threshold for frustration.. so i find more and more that my primary requirement for a program is that is not get in my way and frustrate me.  I don't mind using different programs, so it's ok with me if i have to use 2 programs instead of 1 do-everything tool, as long as i can get in, do what i want to do, and exit, without stumbling around and getting lost.

Shed:
Hello guys (hello Mr. Mouser)

i think a good program or piece of coding must have this guidelines :

1) be small, load fast, run fast and do exactly the right thing for what it is coded (the task)
2) make a good use of resources of the machine....small size again and moderated use of the resources
3) It's a bonus if the interface is fancy and good designed (but not a must)
4) if don't need be installed (only the exe and binnary files for running) it's a Plus (old style EXE coding)
5) Dont will have NAG screens (sorry but i ate the reminder screens for registering etc)
6) be coded in C, C++, or Delphi .... all the rest of languajes it's crappy (Visual Basic for example, but i'm talking of running apps in Windows O.S., Perl, or Python or others are right as languajes....you catch it?)

app103:
You know you have found a really great useful application when...

* You feel withdrawl symptoms if you are suddenly forced to live without it, even for just a little while.
* You refuse to upgrade your OS till you know for sure that it will work on the new one.
* It's one of the first things you install on a new system.
* It's one of the things you would install on your friend's system when setting up his computer for him, and even pay for it, if necessary.
* You'd be willing to pay twice the price to upgrade, if you had to, with a smile.  :)
* It's so intuitive that when you run it for the first time, you instinctively know how it works, without taking a course in how to use it, or even reading the help file.
* You begin to forget it didn't come with your system and isn't part of your OS.
* You'd be willing to host the developer's site yourself, than to ever see it be made unavailable.
For me, some examples of these would be any of the following. They fit all (or nearly all1) of the requirements:

StartPro
FileBox Extender2
PS Tray Factory
Taskbar++
Speedfan
Ad Muncher
Notepad2
DClock2 (mine)
WinRAR
Trout
ColorCop
Process Explorer

1A few of them do require a quick glance at the help file.
2Hyperionics is no longer developing, supporting, or hosting this GPL licensed application, and I have contacted them for a copy of the source and I'll host it myself if I have to.

mahesh2k:
Basically the same things I look for in a woman:  it does what it says it will do, or more, but never less.  It doesn't thrash my machine.  It isn't priced beyond the value of its functionality to me.  And in descending order of importance: it's fast, simple, and looks pretty.
--- End quote ---

Have to agree  :D

1) Takes minimum resources.
2) Simple
3) Less Bugs :/

CleverCat:
Same as my Closet - there are items of clothing I might only 'take out for a spin' very rarely, but they are things I can't do without when necessary!  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version