ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Wolfram Alpha - Impressions On Launch

<< < (5/6) > >>

fenixproductions:
I've tried Wolfram and it is sad experience. Many countries does not even exist in it.

I must say that one of my colleagues wrote Polish language chat bot for his diploma (took him year or something) and I remember it working better than Wolfram. His project was giving correct answers for questions like "When can I go from Warsaw to Krakow". Learnt database had only the size of few GB but in case of no data it simply asked Wikipedia or Google. It worked great that way. Unfortunately, implementing Polish semantic and grammar mechanisms was too time consuming work and because of that there was no English version :(

I can't simply believe that something such "big" can work so bad. Wolfram reminds me Chandler somehow.

40hz:
I gave it a try.

1) My impressions after using it: Interesting. With a lot of work, it might actually be useful...someday.

2) My take on most of the claims currently being made for it:

Wolfram-WOW!!!

8)

herneith:
How the Mighty have Fallen! 

gpetrant:
Thought I'd add this as a supplemental to the discussion: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2347236,00.asp (I have no interest in the site at this point, beyond its super cool name (a biased opinion for obvious reasons  ;)))

(My stance on new things in general: Darwinian.  With very few exceptions, I am content to wait and see how well an app or service 'survives' (read: works for other users) first, before picking it up for a try-out.  If it outlasts its initial (and hardest) months/years, that's a big plus in my books.)

gpetrant:
Oh god! oh god! stay away from Wolfram Alpha..|.for god's sakes.,/  I...I can't explain everything right now.. it's all so...so surreal.  I...I decided to do some research on Wolfram using Methematica (Crystal) and andsomehow my WiFi picked up *their* satellite feed and...and...oh god...I gotta go I hear something outside my window...please pray fo.........................................*syslog: transmission and transmitter terminated 05:10 hrs.  Press Enter to reboot now.*

Hello, my name is Edna.  I love Wolfram Alpha.  I use it everyday for all my shopping needs.  Yes, I love Wolfram Alpha. (And you'll learn to love it too!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version