ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Carrier Pigeon faster than commercial ISP

<< < (3/3)

Innuendo:
When people talk about internet speeds they invariably talk about Japan, select European countries, and other places that get to bask in the glory of 50+ mbps speeds. Places like Africa are nearly never mentioned & a lot of us neglect to 'remember' how much better we have it over others and that neglect extends a lot farther than just internet speeds as well.

In a digital world full of web pages heavy with crap like Flash, Java, and other crap & even a free AV program weighs in at 80+ MB the internet is developing into a world of haves and have-nots. It's not just about having internet access anymore. One needs to have fast internet access speeds in order to function well on today's information super-highway.

I had the opportunity the other day to watch someone trying to use eBay on a dial-up connection. It was mostly an exercise in frustration with mediocre results. What should be a web site with some images, some words, and a few text input fields was a bloated, sluggish experience on a dial-up modem.

CleverCat:
Yes kbytes - fortunately!  ;D and yes I have to watch my downloads :( but on the upside if I run out I can use 10GB locally - fat lot of good that is! :o

Perry Mowbray:
The story may be true, but who wants to carry a pigeon?
-cranioscopical (September 11, 2009, 10:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Somebody p-mailing the recipe of Pigeon Pie to a pie maker?

cranioscopical:
The story may be true, but who wants to carry a pigeon?
-cranioscopical (September 11, 2009, 10:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Somebody p-mailing the recipe of Pigeon Pie to a pie maker?
-Perry Mowbray (September 13, 2009, 06:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
Unless it was Simon I'll take that one with a pinch of salt.

CleverCat:
 ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version