ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the hell is OpenCandy?

<< < (98/99) > >>

wraith808:

In mine they are.  I did some things out of ignorance when I was younger professionally, so I'm apt to give second chances, as I wouldn't be where I am without one.  And I know people who've had criminal records for quite innocuous mistakes... the difference a criminal record makes in things you take for granted until you have one is pretty staggering!
-wraith808 (April 12, 2011, 02:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think you misunderstand. I have no problem with redemption for people; but that has absolutely nothing to do with software developers. My moral code allows forgiveness for people. It doesn’t work the same way for software companies. Nor for banks, investment companies, etc. See the difference? People, yes. Software companies, no.

-J-Mac (April 12, 2011, 03:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

No... I don't misunderstand.  My professional mistakes were as a software developer, so it's very relevant.  I'm sure *many* software developers have made mistakes, and have regrets, just as many people in other fields do.  Does that make them ineligible to make money in their chosen profession?

The people at OC are just that... people.  Yet it's guilt by association, no matter what changes they may have made, no matter what revelations they may have gleaned.  It's easy to demonize companies while holding the company to some standard- but no matter what the legal definition is, a company is not an entity.  And even if it were, that wouldn't hold water either, as OC is not Divx; it just has some of the same people.  So it's not redemption for even Divx as a company.  We're talking about people here, truthfully, and their actions and history.

40hz:
Wonder if the gun ownership ratio made those statistics better...or worse.-40hz (April 12, 2011, 02:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Has no impact on it what so ever actually. How much coastline does CT have? We have well over 1,000 miles; over half of the drugs smuggled into the US come right through FL (remember Miami Vice? :) ...Yeah that's right here in FL).
-Stoic Joker (April 12, 2011, 03:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Approximately 618 miles bordering some of the most well-to-do communities in the United States. We're no strangers to the drug traffickers around here. People who want drugs can easily afford to buy them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the lion's share of what came in through FL hits the distribution network and ends up on the streets around here. We're less than 50 miles from NYC where I live, so it's just a hop, skip, and a jump to the Big Apple. My area has lots of private beaches, wooded areas, small police departments, and quiet secluded neighborhoods with neighbors who tend to mind their own business and not be overly curious about what's going on next door - as long as there's no gunfire or screams to be heard. :P

I understand the Feds just did yet another major roundup of dealers last week. :-\

Stoic Joker:
A small company is a collection of people that rise or fall based on how well they work together, and how well the result of that work is accepted by the consumer. I'm pretty sure that's where wraith is at.

Large companies (/faceless evil mega-corporations) Like Shell, Bank of America, etc. are On-the-Other-Hand, subject to a corporate think (Feed the Share Holders) mentality that transcends the people (or humanity for that matter). I'm guessing is more J-Mac's take.

IT companies tend to all try to look as big a possible - Even when they're only 1 or 2 people working out of a spare room. Which makes the line blurrier, true.  But any group of people (IMO) can sit down and decide amongst themselves that they collectively screwed-up. And then do something positive about it.

Does that help any?

---------------------------

Sorry to bail on you 40Hz, but I thought maybe we should hush on the tangent...before we bother the adults...  :D

40hz:
Sorry to bail on you 40Hz, but I thought maybe we should hush on the tangent...before we bother the adults...  :D
-Stoic Joker (April 12, 2011, 05:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

D'accord. Was about to suggest the same.  ;D

skwire:
C'mon, folks, this horse has been beaten entirely too much.  Let's agree to disagree and just move on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version