ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the hell is OpenCandy?

<< < (97/99) > >>

J-Mac:

And is there a point where there's no redemption?  I should hope not.  The lack of the possibility of redemption removes hope, and removes the one thing that can make people choose the right path.  It reminds me of people with criminal records.  Do you trust them outright and give them the keys to the safe?  No.  But if you don't give them a chance to prove themselves, then how are they ever going to be rehabilitated?  And isn't it just as much your fault when given the lack of a means to make a living they resort to the only thing they can still do?
-wraith808 (April 12, 2011, 09:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

This comparison just don’t work for me. People with criminal records and software companies (and/or their founders) that have done serious wrong aren't in the same realm with regard to rehabilitation, second chances, etc. At least in my universe!

Jim

40hz:
@SJ - Note: this is how it works in CT at least. It may be different where you live.
-40hz (April 12, 2011, 08:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I'm in the south ... Our version of the "Three Step Rule" is never be more that Three Steps away from your gun... :)   (Seriously) The last stats I saw on the news for FL was 1 in 10 for armed license holders ... And I think half the other 9 just do it anyway.
-Stoic Joker (April 12, 2011, 12:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Approximate number of inmates sentenced and awaiting execution order for a capital offense ( i.e. all legal appeals other than executive clemency currently exhausted).

Florida.        400
Connecticut.   10

Actual executions since the 1976 reinstatement of capital punishment through year-end 2010:

Florida.         69
Connecticut.    1

Hmm...

Wonder if the gun ownership ratio made those statistics better...or worse.  :huh:

wraith808:

And is there a point where there's no redemption?  I should hope not.  The lack of the possibility of redemption removes hope, and removes the one thing that can make people choose the right path.  It reminds me of people with criminal records.  Do you trust them outright and give them the keys to the safe?  No.  But if you don't give them a chance to prove themselves, then how are they ever going to be rehabilitated?  And isn't it just as much your fault when given the lack of a means to make a living they resort to the only thing they can still do?
-wraith808 (April 12, 2011, 09:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

This comparison just don’t work for me. People with criminal records and software companies (and/or their founders) that have done serious wrong aren't in the same realm with regard to rehabilitation, second chances, etc. At least in my universe!

-J-Mac (April 12, 2011, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

In mine they are.  I did some things out of ignorance when I was younger professionally, so I'm apt to give second chances, as I wouldn't be where I am without one.  And I know people who've had criminal records for quite innocuous mistakes... the difference a criminal record makes in things you take for granted until you have one is pretty staggering!

J-Mac:

In mine they are.  I did some things out of ignorance when I was younger professionally, so I'm apt to give second chances, as I wouldn't be where I am without one.  And I know people who've had criminal records for quite innocuous mistakes... the difference a criminal record makes in things you take for granted until you have one is pretty staggering!
-wraith808 (April 12, 2011, 02:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think you misunderstand. I have no problem with redemption for people; but that has absolutely nothing to do with software developers. My moral code allows forgiveness for people. It doesn’t work the same way for software companies. Nor for banks, investment companies, etc. See the difference? People, yes. Software companies, no.

Jim

Stoic Joker:
Wonder if the gun ownership ratio made those statistics better...or worse.-40hz (April 12, 2011, 02:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Has no impact on it what so ever actually. How much coastline does CT have? We have well over 1,000 miles; over half of the drugs smuggled into the US come right through FL (remember Miami Vice? :) ...Yeah that's right here in FL).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version