ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the hell is OpenCandy?

<< < (96/99) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Those that do not remember history are doomed to repeat it.-app103 (April 11, 2011, 10:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Perhaps so, but those that fixate on history are just doomed.

They seem to be trying to get it "right", so I say give them a chance (face it desperation will only make it/them worse). Just watch them like a hawk...and if the screw-up once. A mass Exodus of support should send the needed message.

If the developer/marketing relationship can't be somehow "Self Policed", the lawyers will get their hooks in it deeper, and the internet will end up quickly sucking as bad as basic cable.

Renegades point of "people gotta eat" is (unarguably) true. And straight donations are not an effective business model (i.e. Getting one million people to send you $1 doesn't actually work). So alternatives are needed, and some may require more vigilance than others.

On a side note: You are correct in your assessment of my (lack of an extensive) criminal record. But I do know several "felons". Some are indeed "unrecoverable" ... But many were just in a bad place, at a bad time, and made a bad decision.

40hz:
Should I be accosted at the door because of what I might do? No. -Stoic Joker (April 11, 2011, 11:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes.

The bank's security has responsibility for the safety of its customers and employees. So they have every right (and IMO obligation) to question you since youre setting foot on their property. They also have the right to bar all persons carrying weapons from entering the building, even if certain people have the legal right to carry. A gun permit only applies to your being granted the privilege (not the right - otherwise you wouldnt need a license) to have a concealed weapon when on public property. Any individual has the right to ban weapons on their own property except when they're carried by police officers when they're acting in an official capacity.

My actions are perfectly legal
--- End quote ---

Yes they are.

...But the permission you were granted is also subject to verification. Having a gun permit doesn't mean you can't be stopped or challenged. Nor does it mean you'll be permitted entry with a gun everywhere. It just means you won't be arrested by the police once it's established you're "packing."
 ;D

------
@SJ - Note: this is how it works in CT at least. It may be different where you live.  :)

(Carry permit? Bank? I take it you're the guy that got stuck with making the bank deposits huh?)

wraith808:
That's cool... but does an individual's right to choose not to consume make the company's right to exist and operate moot?  Does an opinion not based in current facts surrounding the company make the company evil?
-wraith808 (April 11, 2011, 08:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Pardon me, but it s a known fact that I have trust issues (I don't believe in 3 strikes and you'd be lucky if you were allowed 2), so help me out here...

When does a current fact stop being current and become old news, worthy of forgetting? If they do something seriously questionable today, do we immediately forgive and forget tomorrow, if they stop, change the way they do things, apologize, make promises, etc?

Where do YOU draw the line? At what point do you say enough is enough and now I am not going to trust you until you have proven yourselves worthy of that trust? How long does it take to win that trust back? How many infractions are they allowed during that period? How serious are those infractions allowed to be? At what point do you write them off and never trust again?
-app103 (April 11, 2011, 10:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, no, I didn't know that, but despite that- does a mistake made rob you of your right to make a living?  They weren't convicted of any crime- what they did was wrong, and it seems from the quote of DrApps that you posted, that they are aware of it.  One strike and you're out is very unforgiving, especially in a world where *everyone* makes mistakes.  Sure, there is a point where you don't trust... but I don't think that OC as a company is at that point.  They've made some course corrections and had some defects- even those were benign- just traces of what they had done.  A dll by itself, or registry settings by themselves are not smoking guns- and to me point to the fact that there were some growing pains more than malign intent.  An executable or anything that ran out of process, or any sort of network traffic to the contrary of what they're saying would be more evidence than these missteps.

And is there a point where there's no redemption?  I should hope not.  The lack of the possibility of redemption removes hope, and removes the one thing that can make people choose the right path.  It reminds me of people with criminal records.  Do you trust them outright and give them the keys to the safe?  No.  But if you don't give them a chance to prove themselves, then how are they ever going to be rehabilitated?  And isn't it just as much your fault when given the lack of a means to make a living they resort to the only thing they can still do?

Stoic Joker:
@SJ - Note: this is how it works in CT at least. It may be different where you live.
-40hz (April 12, 2011, 08:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I'm in the south ... Our version of the "Three Step Rule" is never be more that Three Steps away from your gun... :)   (Seriously) The last stats I saw on the news for FL was 1 in 10 for armed license holders ... And I think half the other 9 just do it anyway.

wraith808:
@SJ - Note: this is how it works in CT at least. It may be different where you live.
-40hz (April 12, 2011, 08:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I'm in the south ... Our version of the "Three Step Rule" is never be more that Three Steps away from your gun... :)   (Seriously) The last stats I saw on the news for FL was 1 in 10 for armed license holders ... And I think half the other 9 just do it anyway.
-Stoic Joker (April 12, 2011, 12:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

When I used to live in the south, there was a county that had a gun requirement law- you were required by law to have a gun in your house.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version