ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the hell is OpenCandy?

<< < (89/99) > >>

movrshakr:
I guess I'll just bid adieu.  It is clear I am very out of sync with some of the general thinking here...in that I cannot see how anyone would conclude that this "method" has any coat of acceptability whatsoever.

I say that because, to me, if anything is being done (installed or info sent to wherever) before the user has a chance to prevent it, that unquestionably (in my opinion) constitutes unacceptable behavior.

cmpm:
After seeing your comments over on Gizmo's blog I don’t think it strange at all!   ;D 8)
-J-Mac (April 10, 2011, 10:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, one of my posts was deleted. I just noticed. Sent MidnightCowboy a PM to see if it's ok to repost. I don't think he likes me. :(

UPDATE: It's been undeleted. Maybe he does like me~! :D

-Renegade (April 10, 2011, 12:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

@Ryan- I'm an editor over there. I suspect your post was most likely taken down by accident, or because it contained a weblink to someplace that returned a WOT rating of orange.

If a moderator took it down for what they felt was a violation of the forum rules (or if it contained a 'red' WOT rated link) it wouldn't have been put back up later. :)

FWIW, I don't think anybody (or hardly anybody at least) over at Gizmo's dislikes you personally. It's just you've put yourself in a challenging position by endorsing a product many TSA members have major concerns about. So, as unofficial apologist for OC, you're bound to get some heat. But for the most part, the responses to your posts seem to be generally positive and echo much of what's been said here: people don't like the way OC works, and they're suspicious of the reassurances OC is giving that they will "do no evil" down the road.

-40hz (April 10, 2011, 02:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Edited your post to point out that I think Renegade has the same concerns.
Such as-
they're suspicious of the reassurances OC is giving that they will "do no evil" down the road.

--- End quote ---
He's done more investigating OC than anyone on this thread so far I think.

cmpm:
I guess I'll just bid adieu.  It is clear I am very out of sync with some of the general thinking here...in that I cannot see how anyone would conclude that this "method" has any coat of acceptability whatsoever.

I say that because, to me, if anything is being done (installed or info sent to wherever) before the user has a chance to prevent it, that unquestionably (in my opinion) constitutes unacceptable behavior.
-movrshakr (April 10, 2011, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is overreacting imo.
There is no "general thinking here" here on this subject as well as many subjects.

movrshakr:
There is no "general thinking here" here on this subject as well as many subjects.
-cmpm (April 10, 2011, 03:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
I said "...out of sync with SOME of the general thinking here."

"That is overreacting imo."
Clearly, you have no problem with someone, without your permission, installing software on your machine, or sending off data about you or your machine--as does OpenCandy.

I do have a problem with that--a BIG problem with that.

You are OpenCandy's dream come true.

wraith808:
-cmpm (April 10, 2011, 03:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
I said "...SOME on the general thinking here."

"That is overreacting imo."
Clearly, you have no problem with someone, without your permission, installing software on your machine, or sending off data about you or your machine--as does OpenCandy.

I do have a problem with that--a BIG problem with that.

You are OpenCandy's dream come true.

-movrshakr (April 10, 2011, 04:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, he's one of the negative posters.  The cool thing about DC is the fact that we don't agree on everything, but we have a community built on our differences as well as our similarities.  That's how many of our greatest discussions come about.  If all of us were the same, then what would be the use of debate or conversation, and where would new perspectives come in.  And none of the software on DC as far as I know use any sort of ad mechanism in them- for better or worse, they depend on donations.

And the overreaction would be the leaving the forums just because a few people here like OC, rather than overreacting to OC.  But to each his own.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version