ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the hell is OpenCandy?

<< < (84/99) > >>

cmpm:
I've never installed anything OC has promoted.
Does it do an auto install if you choose one?
Or does it do it another way?

I expect it just installs if you choose to.
I would prefer a new tab with the proposal and more info.
So I could see more about the program.
The link could still be credited to the developer.
More to deal with for the end-user, but more transparent, imo.

wraith808:
-cmpm (April 09, 2011, 10:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

OC isn't installed on your machine.  It runs in the installer temp directory, loaded into memory by the installer so that functions can be called from the installer.  Once the installer cleanup runs, it is removed from your machine.  Renegade did a test to see if everything is removed, and apparently it is, other than one empty folder.

cmpm:
What I mean is, for example, IE9, the opt-in/opt-out check boxes are not checked-correct?
So if I check, opt-in, 'install IE9', will it connect, to somewhere, and install without any more info about IE9?
Instead of opening a web page for installing IE9, which is what I'd like.

So I'm not talking about OC's .dll, but how the opt-in for any program actually works.

Is that more clear.

Renegade:
-cmpm (April 09, 2011, 10:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

OC isn't installed on your machine.  It runs in the installer temp directory, loaded into memory by the installer so that functions can be called from the installer.  Once the installer cleanup runs, it is removed from your machine.  Renegade did a test to see if everything is removed, and apparently it is, other than one empty folder.
-wraith808 (April 09, 2011, 11:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

To be clear, IIRC, that was where I declined an offer. I should do the same where I accept an offer.

40hz:
J-Mac: he's definitely their propagandist, but at least he's not trying to hide it - and that's something to give credit for.
-f0dder (April 09, 2011, 10:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Strongly agree w/f0dder on that point. As long as the business affiliation is announced up front, I have no problem with somebody being a paid supporter as long as there's no agenda to deceive. Most of us need to work for a living. And getting paid to 'evangelize' a piece of tech is a common and accepted practice anyway. No point singling out any one company or individual for doing that.

Oddly I have never found this to be the case with normal apps that aren't doing anything that people deem suspicious; only with suspect apps.

(Plus that creepy smile on his avatar bugs me!!  ;D  )-J-Mac (April 09, 2011, 10:29 AM)
--- End quote ---
You and me both, man.

--- End quote ---

I personally think they should hire Renegade in some capacity. He's done more to build a convincing case for OC (despite the fact I personally don't like how OC implements itself) than some of the official communiqués ever did. He also speaks to the concerns of developers and software geeks. And, being a developer himself, on their level.

Hey DrApps! Maybe you folks should consider hiring this guy in some capacity?

Seriously.
 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version