ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the hell is OpenCandy?

<< < (72/99) > >>

wraith808:
@Renegade

No, I did not try Sweet IM (and have no intention/need to do that). I was just wondering how you can recommend Sweet IM to others without having tried it yourself first?
-PhilB66 (April 03, 2011, 12:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Where did he recommend it?

Eóin:
I would guess that Phil is referring to the OC screen in the installer, as in this shot from earlier

What the hell is OpenCandy?

where it definitely is implied that the author implicitly recommends the advertised product. Nonetheless it seems rather trivial and nitpicking, we don't get our knickers in a knot when a Google ad might not have been personally tested by every maintainer whose site which displays the ad.

This comes back around again to the double standards some people have. What the OC dll does and reports back on is trivial and benign and also seems perfectly legitimate. An advertising company needs info on how their ads are perceived, and stats like how long a user navigates through the installer do just that. Sure you could call that spying, really the application is its just reporting how it was used.

I return to the example of apps website, as she is one of the more vocal against OC, though in truth, almost any website online could used. The tracking and spying done on apps sites is much more intrusive and much broader than OC. And yet we all get on with our lives and accept that tracking, suddenly however when OC does similar, indeed much more benign, stat reporting we have people freaking out because "I just don't trust those guys". That's not a rational argument, it's hysteria.

40hz:
@Renegade

No, I did not try Sweet IM (and have no intention/need to do that). I was just wondering how you can recommend Sweet IM to others without having tried it yourself first?
-PhilB66 (April 03, 2011, 12:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Where did he recommend it?
-wraith808 (April 03, 2011, 02:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Scuds me, but isn't that what OC insists on referring to their advertisements as - recommendations rather than ads? :huh:

wraith808:
^ I was just asking where he recommended it.  I didn't know where he was referring to.

app103:
Just curious, app103, did you install the latest Photo Resizer from Renegade?
I have all his other releases as well.

Personally I have probably 50 programs that can resize, all with their own uniqueness.
But I'm I download junkie.

I'm not asking to be controversial or make a point.
Just wondering if the current OC process would stop you from a download you want.

Peace!
-cmpm (April 03, 2011, 10:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, I haven't tried it. Don't have a need for it. I am pretty well over covered for image resizing.

However, I do have CDBurner XP on one of my other machines and really should update it, except that the latest version has OC, so I will probably uninstall it and replace it with something else.

And I had recently considered trying SUPER, but once I found out that has OC I changed my mind.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version