ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the hell is OpenCandy?

<< < (66/99) > >>

JavaJones:
Yes, but you're far from the only person using OpenCandy, and now that I know what it looks like I realize it's been used in lots of software I've installed recently. I would have liked to know so I could learn more and make a more informed decision. Lack of full disclosure by software authors is my remaining concern.

- Oshyan

PhilB66:
So what you're saying is we need a new term to define things like OC?-JavaJones (April 02, 2011, 02:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Here are a few... Ad Conduit, Usage Information Sniffer/Transferer, Privacy Intrusion Mechanism. That's what OC does. How it does what it does is not an issue (at least for me it's not).

Just go through the advertisers list... Crawler Toolbar, My Shopping Genie, PriceGong, SweetIM.....sigh

cmpm:
Alright, here's a different way to put it-

junk mail, or door hangers
that most of us throw away
they know where I live
for OC, click 'do not install' whatever it is

well, one time I used one of those door hanger ads
they are mostly lawn services and remodeling companies

one time out of thousands I did use one
a Bathroom remodeling service or contractors
cause I did needed some remodeling done to two bathrooms
Decent price as well...

is that any help? lol...
they knew I had bathrooms beforehand I'm sure
without going through my house haha

will this thread ever die?  :tellme:

OC changed their tactics, which raises an eyebrow.
We are watching to see if it happens again.

Renegade:
So what you're saying is we need a new term to define things like OC?-JavaJones (April 02, 2011, 02:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Here are a few... Ad Conduit, Usage Information Sniffer/Transferer, Privacy Intrusion Mechanism. That's what OC does. How it does what it does is not an issue (at least for me it's not).
-PhilB66 (April 02, 2011, 06:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think that's an accurate assessment.

I'm willing to be proven wrong, but statements with no facts to back them up don't carry much weight. I've presented a great number of facts here to back up what I've been trying to say.

To be clear, in loud, bold, 20pt, red, all caps:

Loud, Bold, 20pt, ALL CAPS
I WILL RECANT AND DROP OPENCANDY LIKE A HOT POTATO THE MOMENT SOMEONE CAN GIVE ME SOME SOLID, REPRODUCIBLE OR VERIFIABLE EVIDENCE THAT THEY ARE BEING DECEITFUL AND VIOLATING USERS.

...and centered. :)

And in boring, normal type...

Prove me wrong, and I will recant! :)

Just go through the advertisers list... Crawler Toolbar, My Shopping Genie, PriceGong, SweetIM.....sigh
-PhilB66 (April 02, 2011, 06:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Dropping out registry cleaners and ones that I am not very familiar with, the list also includes some well respected software companies:

* AOL Toolbar
* AVG Anti-Virus 2011
* eBay Sidebar for Firefox
* Evernote
* Groupon
* Jing by TechSmith
* Microsoft Bing Bar
* Microsoft Internet Explorer 8
* Microsoft Internet Explorer 9
* Yandex Toolbar
* Nitro PDF Reader
* Real Player
* Snagit by TechSmith
* StumbleUpon
* Wakoopa
* World of Warcraft by Blizzard
Can anyone pick out anything in there that is shady? (I know someone is going to scream about Real... Please stick to today and not ancient history. The process of "working out the rules of the Internet" took some time, and we all know them now. 1999 doesn't count anymore - it's prehistoric history.)

Regarding "Crawler Toolbar", it was "Crawler Toolbar with Web Security Guard". They are also TRUSTe whitelisted.

http://www.truste.com/privacy-program-requirements/program-requirements.html

eBay, PayPal, Yahoo. It has some clout.

Just because something is a toolbar doesn't make it forged in Hell on an anvil of bones.

I remember releasing ALToolbar.

http://www.altools.com/ALTools/ALToolbar.aspx

It's an excellent tool. SHIFT SHIFT and you're styling! I really wish that ESTsoft would make it for Firefox and Opera. That would ROCK! I love it! It's so good that I'd almost use IE as my primary browser. (That is saying a LOT!)

... off topic ...

Phew~! Just prior to clicking "POST", I saw my regular Firefox browser crash reporter, gulped, and then remembered that I've switched to Opera~! :D YAY~!

f0dder:
Can anyone pick out anything in there that is shady?-Renegade (April 02, 2011, 08:01 AM)
--- End quote ---
World of Warcrack. Definitely shady, ruiner of souls.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version