ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the hell is OpenCandy?

<< < (62/99) > >>

mouser:
Or another way to ask is, do you sufficiently trust this developer and their partners, and the choices they make about their software and how they distribute it?  If not, you probably don't want to run their software, with or without any bundled installer, advertising dll, etc.

Unless you are prepared to never install anything made be anyone who you don't completely trust -- or insist on reading carefully through every line of open source code before you run it, you are taking some risks and putting some trust in others work.  Frankly it seems to me that a company like OpenCandy, even if you don't trust their motives, is probably orders of magnitude safer to install and less likely to be trouble, than most random shareware and commercial software made by people who you don't know.

Renegade:
That was another good way to put it mouser. And certainly not off-the-wall like me~! :) :P

The same thing goes for pretty much most manufacturing/production.

For the fresh produce in the supermarket, you trust the:

* supermarket
* distribution chain
* farmer
* seed producer for the farmer
* fertilizer producer
* pesticide producer
* federal food regulations
* etc.
Similarly for car manufacturers and their suppliers, etc. etc. etc.

Doctors and medicine? There's a LOT of trust there. And every month a new revelation comes out about how some part of our trust was misplaced.

app103 knows just how many manufacturers put out defective products that are dangerous. (I still love the candles that were a fire hazard! The irony was beautiful.)

PhilB66:
So why most developers that partner with OC hid that fact?

Renegade:
-PhilB66 (April 01, 2011, 02:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

I suppose that the sins of the past with stealth adware have created an environment of paranoia. The media certainly doesn't help as we've just seen yet once again with that false positive on the Samsung laptops.

The media hypes death, destruction, malign intent, disasters, terror and fear. They have no interest in the truth. If they did, they wouldn't have been hyping the Samsung story -- they would have done some investigation to find out first. But they didn't. They're fear-mongers. "If it bleeds, it leads."

People are so primed for fear that anything that could be remotely linked to your software could be a death sentence. For FL Studio, that's less of a worry as they already have a strong following and brand. For lesser-known authors, the prospect could spell death.

Plainly, I think that a lot of developers are just scared. I can't say as I blame them.

40hz:
-PhilB66 (April 01, 2011, 02:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

I suppose that the sins of the past with stealth adware have created an environment of paranoia. The media certainly doesn't help as we've just seen yet once again with that false positive on the Samsung laptops.
Plainly, I think that a lot of developers are just scared. I can't say as I blame them.
-Renegade (April 01, 2011, 02:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think it's so much an issue of blaming or excusing as it is simply asking OC to yield on a business issue that many will (with some justification) be highly suspicious of.

That's why I think PhilB66 and others bring the whole problem to point by asking why developers seem to be hiding the fact they are partnering with OC.

And I think the only answer is because it betters the odds the average end-user is more likely go along with it if they don't know about it.

Which makes the practice somewhat questionable.

If it's motivated by a desire to slip something past the end-user, then it smacks of dishonesty. If it's based on some sort of "they don't need to know" and "media paranoia" justification, then it comes very close to being insulting since that presumes the developers knows best what their users need to know - or are capable of understanding.

In any case, operating like this doesn't do much to engender trust in a relationship. And it also has the potential side effect of stoking the rumor mill as well as making it that much harder for the developer to respond creditably to accusations. Most people feel if you weren't forthright at the beginning of a relationship, you won't be later on should a problem arise.

Can't have it both ways.

There's an old saying that goes: Burn me once - shame on you. Burn me twice - shame on me.

Unfortunately, in these (also justifiably) suspicious times, many potential customers won't be willing to give you the benefit of the doubt if they suspect you're holding out on them.

Quack!  ;D (Kidding...just kidding.)

----------------

@Renegade - <OT> - tried your suggestion in another thread regarding DC being smoother in Opera. I'm using Opera right now - and you're right!
Whole mo' better experience compared to FF. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version