ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the hell is OpenCandy?

<< < (39/99) > >>

40hz:
Just out of curiosity: are you going to state right up front on your download and product info pages that it contains OpenCandy, identify it as an adware application, and say that if you don't want to install it you'll need to explicitly tell it not to? and that tracking software may remain on their machine even if they later "uninstall" it.

Or are you going to let them find out about it after they download and start installing like it seems everybody who is including it does?

I'm not trying to sound hostile. I've got nothing but respect for you. It's just everybody using OpenCandy seems to almost go out of their way to hide its presence as much as possible from what I've seen. Makes me wonder if there's something in OC's license or in some policy or recommendation that suggests or requires a 'stealth' approach.  :)

scancode:
and that tracking software will remain On their machine even if they later "uninstall" it.
-40hz (March 08, 2011, 08:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Tracking software? I thought all OC left was a DLL in the temp directory...

cmpm:
I'm not smart enough to know if OC is a threat or not.
That's why I have security programs that detect threats.

http://www.opencandy.com/2011/03/04/the-story-behind-the-opencandy-and-microsoft-adware-debacle/

Is a poor attempt at some kind of explanation. IMO.
And minimizing their own problems.
Blaming MS Defender, well Nod32 found it too.
So it's not MS at fault, but OC's changes that got caught.
And now they back peddle.....

40hz:
Good op-ed piece which includes an eye-opening list of major apps known to include OpenCandy. Link here.

@Renegade- just an FYI. One freeware review site I do some stuff for is currently debating whether or not to de-list all software that incorporates OC because of the way it operates. Don't know if they will. But it's something to tuck in the back of your head. Because it looks like a ground wave of resistance from people in the know is starting to be felt over OC. Much luck with that if it starts gaining traction. :nono2:

wraith808:
It seems like a lot of FUD, because there's a resistance to anyone monetizing software through ads.  A bad state of things, as I think there's a right way, and a wrong way, and it should be a legitimate way to monetize software development.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version