ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the hell is OpenCandy?

<< < (16/99) > >>

cmpm:
@mouser

this is the file in a 'opencandy' folder
same file in each folder

cmpm:
The only registry entry i could find.
And I think he responded well to most of the questions.
I think some he doesn't know the answer to, which is frustrating on both sides. He is a salesman mostly, not a tech, nothing wrong with that.
Like the webpage is selling OC not every technical aspect of it.

It's the mixing that is happening between sales and users that happens. And sometimes there is friction. I thought he handled my crap well anyway, from what he knows.

kartal:
This is about the time when andrew is probably regretting he ever joined in this discussion, since answering the posts in this thread has become a full time job for him  :huh:

If it's any comfort -- i do think the thread is an overall positive thing for OC -- in letting you explain the workings of it to people who might be initially skeptical.  Not everyone will like it, but at least this thread will be a place they can find out more and see both sides discussed reasonably.
-mouser (May 16, 2009, 08:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

word up :)

mouser:
As cmpm confirmed -- it's just an extra dll that the setup program loads.

Which is how i assumed it worked when andrew explained that OC can be integrated into Inno Setup and NSIS Installers.  And that's really a very clever, non-intrusive way of doing it, which i think should be applauded.  Much of the resistance from people on this thread may result from the fact that people assume that OC is installing some standalone program that is running in the background, etc.

Really OC is not doing anything all that different from what many installer tools from larger companies *already do* (i.e. show some blurbs during installation, offer to let people download another related program from the company, etc.); OC just seems to offer an easier and standard way to do this for the developer who is creating the install package.

I think it's pretty clever actually.

[The sending of information to the OC server, while harmless in my view, especially compared to what info websites track every day, is one reason that i personally wouldn't use OC though.  Not because i think it's evil to collect such information, but i just don't think it's worth the nervousness that it causes people.  Though if you made it opt-in to send the info, but let users uncheck the option, that would mostly solve that.]

kartal:
[The sending of information to the OC server, while harmless in my view, especially compared to what info websites track every day, is one reason that i personally wouldn't use OC though.  Not because i think it's evil to collect such information, but i just don't think it's worth the nervousness that it causes people.  Though if you made it opt-in to send the info, but let users uncheck the option, that would mostly solve that.]
-mouser (May 16, 2009, 09:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

mouser do not you think there is a big difference between web-medium and desktop medium? These are not blurred as much as some wants and I personally would like to keep things seperate. Because websites have ability to track does not mean installers should do the same. This is like public place vs private property. Web=public place, desktop=private property, and I feel like entities like OC does not want to respect that at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version