ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the hell is OpenCandy?

<< < (10/99) > >>

drapps:
Ok, the demo video is up!

See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wr5DIbOAaA

Thanks! :)

Dr. Apps
Software Community Guru
OpenCandy

http://twitter.com/drapps

rgdot:
The concept presented in the demo video is hardly new, just the content of the optional installs is different, rather than being a toolbar and such. Just because a 'back end' recommendation is behind it doesn't make it any different for the end user.

mouser:
Watched the demo video -- very helpful to see it in action.

I stand by everything i've said above -- seems fine to me, and i like how it launches the normal installer for the recommended program if the user chooses to install it, so user can always change their mind and cancel, or uninstall later, etc.

Couple things came to mind watching it:

* Developers need to very clearly identify whether the program being recommended is freeware or shareware -- you wouldn't want people installing programs they think are free only to find out they are shareware.
* It would be nice to add to the OpenCandy recommendation screen a link where the user can Learn more about the recommended program (taking them to it's web page), and maybe a link to OpenCandy page describing what it is.

drapps:
Watched the demo video -- very helpful to see it in action.

I stand by everything i've said above -- seems fine to me, and i like how it launches the normal installer for the recommended program if the user chooses to install it, so user can always change their mind and cancel, or uninstall later, etc.

Couple things came to mind watching it:

* Developers need to very clearly identify whether the program being recommended is freeware or shareware -- you wouldn't want people installing programs they think are free only to find out they are shareware.
* It would be nice to add to the OpenCandy recommendation screen a link where the user can Learn more about the recommended program (taking them to it's web page), and maybe a link to OpenCandy page describing what it is.-mouser (May 14, 2009, 02:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

@mouser

Agree on both counts.

#1) Yes, we have explicit wording on the recommendation screen that says if an application is a trial (as opposed to free or open source). :)

#2) Coming soon! We are currently working on and testing a new version of our engine which will allow for links on the recommendation screen (such as a link to a landing page on the OpenCandy website explaining what's going on).

Thanks! :)

Dr. Apps
Software Community Guru
OpenCandy

http://twitter.com/drapps

Nod5:
Mouser: Ok, there are some intricacies concerning the labelling but I think you go too far in the other direction. OpenCandy clearly belong to a category of programs that display ads, in one way or the other. That is a common feature it shares with software with constant GUI ads. Many other freeware and commercial software products lack that feature.

Calling it adware would be a problem if most who hear that label then automatically assume that it was just like a strong form of adware with big blinking ads in the GUI, which it isn't. But it would be just as misleading if some OpenCandy wrapped program was automatically categorized together with completely ad-free software. It is somewhere inbetween. Soft adware still seems like a fitting term. But here's another alternative: "installeradware".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version