ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the hell is OpenCandy?

<< < (8/99) > >>

Eóin:
Eóin, I try to live an ad free life, to me %98 of ads on the planet  are obnoxious and waste of resources in my personal view, And spam is a way of delivering those obnoxious ads. Because ads are everywhere does not make "ads everywhere" a justified issue. Ads are everywhere because many people figured out "bogus" ways to make money, like putting banners on highway, buildings, times square, and noone questioned their acts.-kartal
--- End quote ---

Things can definitely go too far, an example: here in Ireland a number of vehicles have appeared which drive around towns and cities aimlessly carrying banner ads. To me that is a step too far as the ads are having a tangible negative impact; they add to our already serious traffic problems. Also it's unsustainable- it works only because a small number of ignoramuses with hard enough necks decided go ahead, if more follow suit then governments and legislation will no doubt have to step in.

That is the sort of behaviour I dislike, people abusing a loophole that exists only because no one previously had the thoughtlessness or selfishness to take advantage of it before.

But there is another side, ads can be beneficial. For example the ads in Gmail don't bother me because I see it as a fantastic free service which probably wouldn't be sustainable otherwise. I definitely see OpenCandy on this side, I've seen it in mediacoder myself and thought that's a neat way for the developer to get something back. To me viewing the ad was the least I could do as a tiny tiny thank you and I did so without any grievances.

kartal:
Eóin, I believe I understand everyone` position and ideas here and I do respect them. My original point is that OC wont be a solution to developers. I know that developers`s works are greatly unappreciated, they do not get back what they were hoping. So in that sense OC might offer little bandage to couple developers but it is not a solution and I believe it will turn into obnoxious insane ad medium.

mahesh2k:
I appreciate that Dr Apps/Andrew took time to make a detailed and friendly case for OpenCandy. You come across as a likeable person that believe that this is something good and take user worries seriously!
--- End quote ---

Exactly! +1

I've question for kartal that if he thinks ad-supported service model is wrong then how developers are supposed to stand financially? (for this, i'm not referring to the model of opencandy).<maybe-off-topic>but would like to know your view on supporting devlopers financially.

I agree with kartal's view about opencandy being adware. If opencandy is not adware then what digsby IM is doing isn't adware at all. Besides i don't understand the toolbar and software recommendation thing. I will wait for the Youtube video link.

kartal:
mahesh2k,

If you cannot sell your software you just stop developing it. I have mentioned this in some another topic, if you start a business and if it looks like you are not making any money you just close the business. It is very simple. There is  no need to nudge and fudge by using things like ad supported service. I know this is not the common practice but I believe it is right thing to do.

Developing software is hard  and selling it harder. I totally understand the positions of the developers. I do not have a solution for them but if it is not working out for them they should pursue something else. Ad supported solutions of anything is not a solution to anything. Ad supported services never get better they  just get more and more obscene and obnoxious. I am sure you all have seen this happening around. Do you think that google would advertise less and less by the time goes? They will just make it less visible but more advertising. It is dead simple.

wraith808:
I started to make a response here, but figured it was going afield, so made a topic instead.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version