ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

NoteZilla @ 50% off on BitsDuJour.com (13th May)

<< < (2/4) > >>

Steven Avery:
Hi,

The demo of NoteZilla is impressive, have you looked at it ?  I can see how it can function as a mini-PIM in a way that the normal sticky note app will not, most of those apps are simply notes here and there.  With Notezilla you can have categories and scheduling and such, and also cross-category groupings with a grouping-style for the notes (Were there tree-folder levels, maybe not.) Combined and selective.  In other words, you have a bit of a Keynote style app yet with the notes connecting to a webpage or an app or your own memoboard on an issue, rather than being within the note-tree structure only.  However you do not have niceties like multi-level groupings, as you would have in the better dedicated ToDo lists, and I am not sure if you have the fullness of scheduling that you have in calendar apps.  So there are trade-offs.  You do have a free-lance cross-categorization where you create categories and you say to which categories a particular note applies (I would say that was the favorable turning point, seeing that included). So I am tempted to simply give it a try and work with it with the $15 investment tonight on my main puter. If it works good, I am not going to worry now about the full investment on portable or a couple of puters.  I'd probably wait for the next deal (and encourage a DonationCoder discount).  If it stagnates, the $15 will be a learning experience.  However, I think it will have a long-term place, at least for certain functions, such as the ToDo list and webpage annotation. I do like color boards that have a bit of style, one on this puter concern, one on this Bible study, one on this financial doohickey, one on what I have to do today.  That aspect seems to make some sense, ad hoc memo-boards, independent yet selectively combinable.  Make sense ?

Oh, I liked the idea that you could make a note for a webpage, it is URL cognizant, and it allows wild-cards in the URL name so a note could for www.donationcoder.com/* and will appear only when I am up in any DC window.  I think that will get some use, notes attached to web-pages, and also applications, rather than simply independent structure. 

How much of this type of stuff is in Stickies and Presto-Notes and others.  I don't remember much, and it is the turning point for me giving it a tilt-a-whirl.

Shalom,
Steven

Dormouse:
Well, I had a look at NoteZilla myself & compared it with Stickies.

Most functions are present in both.
Both can attach notes to URLs, both have trees with multi-level categories (NoteZilla also has tags), etc
NoteZilla can contain images, Stickies is text only.
NoteZilla syncs with PDAs through Outlook (which I prefer to avoid), Stickies can do it directly.
Stickies can be sent notes by do-Organizer (which I use).

I liked some things about the NoteZilla UI and I liked the option of using images, though not sure how often I'd do it. I don't think I'd get much into tagging; I'd use other apps for anything requiring that much organisation. So the advantage for me, atm, seems to lie with Stickies. Happy to see if any other advantages for NoteZilla become apparent, and then happy to wait for another discount if they do  :)

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

For me the "tags" is a big plus, if I start PIM-ing away.

I just went into Online Armor and attached the sticky to the "Online Armor" window .. the sticky has my current questions about the program and the URL to my posts on their forum.  Thus when I bring up the Online Armor config window the sticky pops up .. kewl .. is that feature in Stickies (program window attachment .. not URL).

Also note that I will plan on "tagging" that with something like "support questions".  Then that tag will have the questions for Online Armor, Avira, Firefox, etc. grouped together.  To me that is the essence of PIM-stuff.  So I am pleased, at least conceptually.  This is a level of direct note relationship that I miss in the Keynote type of program (not that it would be replaced, the functions are complementary).

Shalom,
Steven Avery

conceptworld:

Thanks everyone :)

NoteZilla demo can be viewed here: http://www.conceptworld.com/NoteZilla/nz_demo.asp

Dormouse:
All academic for me anyway. I never seem to be able to buy anything through Plimus. Always seems to be going though fine, then goes into stasis at the end waiting for a response. Never seem to have the problem with anyone else.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version