ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

INfix: easy, capable, but expensive WordPad-like PDF editor

<< < (12/12)

rjbull:
Hmm... now that I see the jpg "full-size" here, maybe it's not the best test candidate... The font looks big in the jpg. rjbull - do you have an image file that you could post for me to try to convert or is this what you were looking for?
-Darwin (June 10, 2009, 08:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

I sent Darwin the front page of a patent PDF file, and Nuance made a very good job of OCR'ing it into usable text.  Able2Extract couldn't touch it.  Maybe I should ask them to raise their game   :(

Darwin, many thanks for the test.  Expect some DC credits!  :)

[Edit]
Aaauuuggghhh!   :'(    I spoke too soon!  I just tried Able2Extract again - and this time it worked!   :'(  Leaving aside explanations such as Rupert Sheldrake's morphic resonance, I think I must have pressed Ctrl-A in Able2Extract meaning the whole page, but it included the whole file, all 99 pages of it, and choked on converting something that size.  Just marking a section or a single page and converting that now works OK.  And it darned well should, too.  Here's part of the About screen:

Copyright     2000 - 2008 Investintech.com Inc.
Nuance      OCR     1994-2008 Nuance, Inc.
--- End quote ---

That is, it uses Nuance OCR technology!   :o  On a quick look I still think Nuance's own conversion was a little better at least on the graphics, but Able2Extract has done a perfectly adequate job on the text.

Oh, well.  I suppose that means I don't have to buy yet another software licence.  I'm catching Darwin up all too rapidly as it is  :(
[/Edit]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version