ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

RAMdisk on XP 32bit - brainstorming!

<< < (5/9) > >>

Jabberwock:
What would be nice is to run sandboxed applications (you know Sandboxie?) on RAMdisk, with an option to dump the data on the hard disk at the end of the Windows session... This gives you both speed and protects you from messing up - as long as the data is not dumped, you can erase any mistake you've made... Of course, you better have an UPS system then :)

4wd:
My Win XP pro 32bit runs in PAE mode. I've not activated that manually and I think it was active even before I started trying out these ramdisk programs.-Nod5 (May 12, 2009, 02:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting, I had to specifically enable it - then again, it's been some time since I installed this particular incarnation of my system and it was 4GB from the initial install, maybe I removed it, way, way back in the distant past.

MerleOne:
I am wondering whether eboostr (www.eboostr.com) with its cache mechanism could also be applied with benefits here ?

f0dder:
I am wondering whether eboostr (www.eboostr.com) with its cache mechanism could also be applied with benefits here ?
-MerleOne (May 12, 2009, 06:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
Dunno, I wish I knew wtf that application really does - there's no technical explanations (that I've found), so it sounds like a bunch of marketing snake-oil to me. That app probably won't be able to use the high physical memory anyway.

MerleOne:
-MerleOne (May 12, 2009, 06:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
Dunno, I wish I knew wtf that application really does - there's no technical explanations (that I've found), so it sounds like a bunch of marketing snake-oil to me. That app probably won't be able to use the high physical memory anyway.
-f0dder (May 12, 2009, 07:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

On my XP Pro PC (at the office), where I have only 512MB ram, it does make a small difference, when I use an external USB key readyboost compatible.  I see less pagination/disk access, but I admit it's hard to benchmark.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version