ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is Windows 7 RC spyware?

<< < (2/2)

Josh:
This is why I put little faith in TOS and EULA's. How are we to know what really goes on unless you go and inspect the servers? I've had services, verified through the use of mail aliases, who claim to not sell email addresses but somehow I ended up getting spam utilizing the alias I setup specifically for that site.

And back on topic, NO, I do not consider Windows 7 to be spyware. You install it voluntarily after Microsoft disclosed clearly what they are collecting and how they are using it. It's for the purposes of improving the product. Simple solution if you are unsatisfied is to not install it.

MilesAhead:
I take it this is not something that can be disabled like the Customer Experience Improvement Program? (Which in Vista keeps collecting data even if you "Opt Out" of it.  You have to open the hidden tasks in Task Scheduler and turn all those little stat gathering tasks off manually.)

f0dder:
I would hardly call this spyware. As already mentioned, the OS is a release candidate, not final. And if you look at the MS developer blogs, you will see what kind of (good!) use the telemetry data is being used for.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version