ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Want to print artist/album list of ogg/mp3 files

<< < (7/9) > >>

superboyac:
Agreed, there are a bunch of different scenarios that could occur so, at best, anything you do will be imperfect.  However, to give you peace of mind, Album Printer does handle "different artist with the same album name" issue.  It combines the artist name with the album name and uses that to compare against its list.  So, in other words, "Artist_A - Greatest Hits" is considered different from "Artist B - Greatest Hits."
-skwire (November 18, 2010, 11:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, i think I can tell it's doing that already.  Very nice.  I want to throw some weird examples at it, but I'd have to do it at home where my files are.  I haven't tagged anything for a while.  I use to be borderline OCD about it.  So what happens when there's like a tribute album with several artists, and each artist is named as the "artist" on their track?  How does AP know the difference between that and a bunch of different "greatest hits" albums?

skwire:
So what happens when there's like a tribute album with several artists, and each artist is named as the "artist" on their track?  How does AP know the difference between that and a bunch of different "greatest hits" albums?
-superboyac (November 18, 2010, 12:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

It doesn't.  That's what I meant in an earlier post when I said that various artist albums aren't currently handled.  There are a few methods that could attempt to handle this but the original poster didn't request it so I never added it.

superboyac:
So what happens when there's like a tribute album with several artists, and each artist is named as the "artist" on their track?  How does AP know the difference between that and a bunch of different "greatest hits" albums?
-superboyac (November 18, 2010, 12:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

It doesn't.  That's what I meant in an earlier post when I said that various artist albums aren't currently handled.  There are a few methods that could attempt to handle this but the original poster didn't request it so I never added it.
-skwire (November 18, 2010, 12:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
OK, I see.  If I think of a good way to do that, I'll post it.

skwire:
OK, I see.  If I think of a good way to do that, I'll post it.-superboyac (November 18, 2010, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

The perfect way would be for everything to have a proper ALBUM ARTIST tag but the chances of that are slim.  Another way is to check if a given album folder has only one artist.  However, this assumes the user has a properly formatted folder structure.  Not nearly all do; I know plenty of folks that still just dump all their music files into one folder.

superboyac:
Yeah, personally, I wouldn't rely on any folder or file names and/or structures for this kind of thing.  It needs to go by the tags.  You can't help it if people don't use the tags the standard way.  I'm still looking for a good way to organize my classical music using the standard tags.  It's tough.  I've been trying different things for like 5 years, nothing has been satisfactory.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version