topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 10:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows7 report for my Apps (Screenshot Cap., FARR, CHS, Proces Tamer,URL S,etc  (Read 14390 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Just a quick report about Windows 7 (win7, windows7) compatibility testing on my applications -- feel free to add any observations you find.

I've tested:
  • Screenshot Captor -- seems to work perfectly
  • Clipboard Help+Spell -- seems to work perfectly
  • URL Snooper -- seems to work perfectly (the 3rd party Winpcap balks at installing, but win7 then popped up a dialog suggesting to reinstall it in compatibility mode, after that)
  • Multi Photo Quotes -- seemed to work perfectly
  • Launch Bar Commander -- seemed to work well (the default setting of thin borders on docks is horribly ugly big border on Win7, so i need to fix that; and i understand some icon importing abilities may be defficient in LBC).
  • Process Tamer -- seemed to work perfectly
  • Find and Run Robot -- seemed to work perfectly

I was pretty impressed by how smooth Windows7 installed and ran.. Since i skipped Vista I might go for win 7 after it hits the shelves.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
I was pretty impressed by how smooth Windows7 installed and ran.. Since i skipped Vista I might go for win 7 after it hits the shelves.
Sounds like a plan :) - I'm running a RC build as my primary OS now, and it works great for most stuff.

The icon issue in LBC keeps me from using it - which is a shame. Especially since Taskbar toolbars aren't detachable on Win7 for all I can tell (they were on XP) - I feel pretty handicapped without any launch bar.

Also, while not a problem with FARR, it would be nice if you added:
  • Run as administrator shortcut
  • "ShellExecute whatever is in the text field"
- carpe noctem

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i also have adopted Win7 as the main OS (albeit temporarily) and one of the 1st things i did was to check the compatibility of DC apps. i used Farr, SC and LBC for the whole day and they responded quite well. only in LBC's case, as mouser had already noted, i had to turn off the border.

i second f0dder's suggestion about the 'Run as administrator' option, either via a hotkey or the context-menu.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
f0dder can you explain a bit more about how you would like those 2 options to express themselves?

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
mouser: I'm not sure how to implement "run as admin", there's probably a cross-OS way to do it, but I was thinking something that pops up UAC on Vista and later.

As for "just shellexecute it", it would be for stuff that FARR doesn't pick up because I don't search those folders, but being somewhere on the path/whatever... like, I'm used to Win+R, diskmgmt.msc ... would be nice using FARR for everything.
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i realized we should discuss core farr features in farr thread so i'll move this, but what i was asking is not how to implement, but to elaborate on exactly what you want farr to do and what the user interface would be.

regarding "just shellexecute it" do you mean something different than when you type in farr "run PROGRAMTORUN"
(i do note that this doesnt work with diskmgmt.msc in all fairness)

regarding run as admin.. im not sure what you are asking for -- a way to run a particular found result as admin, or run farr as admin, or what, and how you want that to be exposed to user.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
f0dder, i've gone to check out the icon problem in LBC.. it seems to me the problem is only getting icons from .msc files.. can you confirm that? or can you find another exe or dll that LBC can't get the icon from?

Regardless:

Unexpectedly, if i copy the file from win7 to winxp, my winxp LBC *can* read the icons from the .msc file.

What this suggests to me is that the reason LBC in Win7 is failing is that LBC is probably asking for an OS-setting-dependent icon format from the file, that it can't quite handle.  In other words, the problem may simply be LBC being overly optimistic and greedy about what kind of quality icon it is willing to try to handle.  So may be a much simpler fix than i thought.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 12:11 PM by mouser »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
It's also a problem for .url files, which I've set to point to my own .ico files. I think there was something else as well, but I've tried dragging a few .exe files and they seem to work. Shortcut files seem to work as well (both linking to the shortcut as well as copying it's properties).
- carpe noctem

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
Ah, found a small bug in FARR: in options, under Search Folders (and other places), dragging doesn't erase the selected-item background rectangle, and things end up looking messy pretty fast.
- carpe noctem