ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

New program: Ethervane StopWatch (freeware)

<< < (2/8) > >>

tranglos:
Feature requests:
Countdown timer:  Could you also include a countdown timer mode on it?
-superboyac (May 05, 2009, 01:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I want to add this, but don't want to spoil the interface. As you said (thanks!), it's pretty neat and compact. For counting down to zero I need a dialog box to specify the starting value, or put the necessary controls in the main window. So far I don't like what I've tried. The feature itself is not a problem, I just need to figure out a suitably low-key interface.

Show hundredths of seconds:  Can you show the hundredths of seconds...for precision timing.
--- End quote ---

Most likely not, sorry! With manual starting and stopping, it doesn't seem to make sense to have such a high precision. I check the time every second only four times a second to keep the CPU usage low.

The Windows timer message is not very reliable. If the computer is busy doing other things, timer messages are sometimes dropped. My stopwatch will make up for it, since it doesn't just count seconds, but calculates the interval from the last timer tick. So in theory I could show the time with millisecond precision, but in practice it would be deceitful to do so, as the measure would not be that precise.

superboyac:
That's ok, just a suggestion.  The timer will be cool, though!

nogojoe:
Show hundredths of seconds:  Can you show the hundredths of seconds...for precision timing.
--- End quote ---

Most likely not, sorry! With manual starting and stopping, it doesn't seem to make sense to have such a high precision. I check the time every second only four times a second to keep the CPU usage low.

The Windows timer message is not very reliable. If the computer is busy doing other things, timer messages are sometimes dropped. My stopwatch will make up for it, since it doesn't just count seconds, but calculates the interval from the last timer tick. So in theory I could show the time with millisecond precision, but in practice it would be deceitful to do so, as the measure would not be that precise.

-tranglos (May 05, 2009, 01:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Could you perhaps create two versions one as it is and one with hundredths of seconds...for precision timing would suit me as well   

Just a suggestion    btw nice clean interface with all those options it's just great looking

nogojoe

tranglos:
Note about the system requirements:

StopWatch runs only on Windows 2000 and later because of the "Suspend on no input" feature (essentially, stop counting when you're not using the computer). Hooking the keyboard and mouse inputs puts unnecessary strain on the system, and anti-virus programs don't like it when they see it. So instead I used a Windows API function that simply tells me the time of the last click of a key or the mouse. This is a much more economical solution, but the necessary function was introduced in Windows 2000 and is not available on earlier systems.

As a result, I expect that on Windows 95 or 98 the program will not even start, and may display an error message about a missing export in a dll.

If anyone wants to use the program under Windows 95 or 98, I can compile a special version without that particular feature, let me know.

tranglos:
Will there be an option to
- store the config files in the same folder as the exe?
- start the exe  and let it start counting immediately too? To use in batch to start it with an another app and count the start time)
-AbteriX (May 05, 2009, 12:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Both done in version 1.3 (please download again; link in the top post).

To store the config files in the same folder as the exe, use the /localconfig parameter (can be added to the Start menu shortcut).

To start the exe and let it start counting immediately, use the /start parameter (likewise).

More details in the History section on top of this thread.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version