ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

New program: Ethervane ActiveHotkeys (freeware)

<< < (11/20) > >>

tranglos:
noticed that it does not show the Alt-F4 as active (the key that brings up the "turn off computer" dialog box in Windows XP, or closes whatever application window you're in). 
-MrChris (August 03, 2009, 06:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's becuse Alt+F4 is not a system-wide hotkey. It only works within an application - even though it's a standard that practically all programs respect. (A programmer is theoretically free to reassign Alt+F4 to a different feature, though doing so would be silly.)

It makes sense, because a system-wide hotkey can only be assigned by one application at a time. If Alt+F4 were a system hotkey, only one program could be closed by Alt+F4, and all other apps would have to use different keyboard shortcuts for that. The same applies to Ctrl+C, Ctrl+X, Ctrl+V etc.

briandr67:
Tranglos,
            It looks like a great app. I am running Vista Business SP2. Under Vista the settings are found in C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Ethervane. Under Vista all accounts including Admin. accounts are run as user accounts. Any program needing to write information to disk needs to have it's privileges elevated to administrator. The only privilege I have as an administrator is that I don't need to type in an admin. password each time I need to elevate a programs privileges. There is a checkbox under properties to elevate permenantly. One thing that is puzzling me is that it has reported 59 out of 1984 possible key combo's as being active, but it reports Ctrl+C (Copy) Ctrl+V (Paste) and Ctrl+X (Cut) as inactive although they do work. Same results occur when run with or without elevation. Any Ideas?  Just a tip for the readme is if people want to automate the installation and removal of the program, including adding shortcuts install it with Nir Sofer's freeware gem, Zip Installer. It is available from his site, www.nirsoft.net Brian

tranglos:
One thing that is puzzling me is that it has reported 59 out of 1984 possible key combo's as being active, but it reports Ctrl+C (Copy) Ctrl+V (Paste) and Ctrl+X (Cut) as inactive although they do work. Same results occur when run with or without elevation. Any Ideas? 
-briandr67 (November 02, 2009, 05:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

The answer is in my reply just above your message :)

The keys you mention are not system-wide hotkeys.

A system-wide hotkey can only be assigned by one application at a time. If Ctrl+C were a system hotkey, only one program could use it, in and all other apps you would have to use a different keyboard shortcuts for "Copy". The same applies to Alt+F4, Ctrl+X, Ctrl+V etc.

Stoic Joker:
Thank You!!!

Configurable HotKeys in T-Clock 2010 would never have worked without this delightful little program.

...They'll be along shortly now!

ewemoa:
Is there already support for VK_APPS (the key that brings up the context-sensitive menu)?

(I checked the thread so far, the docs, and the app itself but didn't have much luck figuring this out.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version