ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

New program: Ethervane ActiveHotkeys (freeware)

<< < (3/20) > >>

rjbull:
Up to now I've used ShortcutsMan by Nir Sofer.  It will be interesting to compare tranglos' program.

TheQwerty:
Nice! :Thmbsup:

It's speedy and the presentation (even the list view) looks good.

A couple of comments/suggestions:

1) Consider renaming the Active Hotkeys tab or having separate tabs for Active and Inactive hotkeys.  I was a bit confused when seeing inactive hotkeys listed on the active hotkeys tab until I found the Show Active Only option.

2) While selecting the modifiers and key groups before scanning allows you to scan for less shortcuts, checking everything didn't seem to take that long.  It might be more useful if you just scanned for everything and then allowed the user to filter the results based on selected modifiers and key groups.

2a) Extending that a bit it would be nice if the user could filter it even further by somehow entering keys.  Say I wanted all shortcuts that use F1, I could sort the list, but I think a filter would be better.

3) While you cannot determine the program associated with the hotkey, you could allow the some user entered data.  In particular, if you allowed the user to group hotkeys, enter the program they are associated with, and maybe a small note of what they did, it would become so much more useful.  Obviously, it would fall on the user to ensure this data is updated and accurate.  Granted, you'd probably have to replace the list view to do this cleanly, but with such a feature it would turn the program into something I might even consider purchasing for a small fee.

Keep up the good work!

tomos:
2) While selecting the modifiers and key groups before scanning allows you to scan for less shortcuts, checking everything didn't seem to take that long.  It might be more useful if you just scanned for everything and then allowed the user to filter the results based on selected modifiers and key groups.
-TheQwerty (May 06, 2009, 06:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

in the panel on the left it would be good to have an 'All' tick-box as well as the 'None' one

tranglos:
in the panel on the left it would be good to have an 'All' tick-box as well as the 'None' one
-tomos (May 06, 2009, 07:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, that's not what "None" means. None doesn't deselect all modifier options. Rather, it means "test all hotkeys whish do not use ANY modifier" - a relatively rare case, but it will come up with the Pause key (registered by FARR) for example. There is another program whose name I forget that uses CapsLock by itself to pop up its window. (Perhaps I should rename that checkbox to "no modifier" instead.)

So, by extension, adding "All" would not mean "all possible combinations of modifiers". It would mean "hotkeys that use all modifier keys", i.e. Alt+Ctrl+Shift+Win - and there is already a checkbox for that.

tranglos:
what's going on, Marek?!  You're unleashing programs on us like rain!  Awesome!  How long has this been in the works?
-superboyac (May 05, 2009, 07:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

The hotkey app is very new, took three nights to write just this week, but of course there are all kinds of improvements left out.

The timer I wrote a few months ago, where a client wanted me to report the time spent on particular phases of a project. I was looking specifically for a timer program that would suspend when I stopped using the keyboard, and I couldn't find anything like that.

In both cases it was the perfect motivation - scratch your own itch. That's how Linux came to be, too :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version