topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Download and play Sauerbraten (a.k.a. Cube 2), a free, open-source game  (Read 13303 times)

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Here is a stunning, free first person shooter. There are versions for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Numerous screen shots will show the quality of the rendering engine. The game might take a while to download, however, as the files/downloads are over 100 MB.

Sauerbraten (a.k.a. Cube 2) is a free multiplayer/singleplayer first person shooter, built as a major redesign of the Cube FPS.

Much like the original Cube, the aim of this game is not necessarily to produce the most features & eyecandy possible, but rather to allow map/geometry editing to be done dynamically in-game, to create fun gameplay and an elegant engine.

The engine supporting the game is entirely original in code & design, and its code is Open Source (ZLIB license, read the docs for more on how you can use the engine)...

from www.stumbleupon.com
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looks impressive, but what are the minimum requirements? I don't want to download 100 MB for nothing, I already did that yesterday with another (bigger) game, and it didn't pass the title screen. And I don't see anything in the documentation...

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
That looks pretty nifty, especially for something free.

EDIT: runs very well here, GeForce6600 pci-e card.

Graphics are about same quality as quake - with cute bumpmapping and water shaders, but less advanced lighting I think. And q3 has 'curved surfaces', don't think this has.

Levels load blazingly fast.
- carpe noctem
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 05:31 AM by f0dder »

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
Tested it on ubuntu with an ATI x550 card, runs fine, but very buggy.
Like f0dder said, graphics are nice, but I experience some strange artifacts here and there.
And the game totally locked up the computer needing a hard reboot when i exited it.
It may be my 3d card drivers.... but the game itself ran very smooth, seems to need  a little more work tho.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Bump mapping? Shaders? I think my card can handle the former, but not the latter... :(

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
Shaders require... ho humm... Friend of mine says GeForce3, although it wasn't with Shader Model 2.0 until it got really useful - probably around GeForce5/Radeon9x00 or so. Can't really remember, never did shader coding, but it was added "fairly long ago", in the graphics card scene sense of "fairly long ago" anyway :)
- carpe noctem

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, but with a TNT2 M64 shaders are not supported, they weren't added so long ago :(

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
TNT2? Wow, that's ancient :) - I think I had a Riva TNT2 around the time when Quake3 was released, or perhaps the demo of it.
- carpe noctem

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
... Why is it that Quake3 still seems 'new' to me. I'm still a Quake2 guy :P
It's not THAT ancient, you know. Computer technology just evolves way too fast :P

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, when I bought the computer I had a SIS6326 with 8 MB. Now that's ancient, and it couldn't run anything. Half-Life was very slow, even at a low resolution. The TNT2 was a gift from my brother, who replaced this card with a GeForce2 with TV-Out, for viewing movies. It surely was a change, but nowadays it's pretty old (my brother changed his computer two times since then, the last one being an impressive piece of hardware), and the most advanced games I can run are Quake 3 and Unreal... no Dreamfall for me :(

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
Re: Download and play Sauerbraten (a.k.a. Cube 2), a free, open-source game
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 03:18 AM »
You're not missing out on much,.. the older games usually are more fun anyways :)

dobk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
LETS MAKE A SAUERBRATEN ADD-ON DOWNLOAD FORUM PAGE
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 10:26 PM »
LETS MAKE A SAUERBRATEN ADD-ONS DOWNLOAD PAGE WITH MAPS AND OTHER STUFF. EVERYONE PLEASE UPLOAD YOUR OWN MAPS FOR DOWNLOAD. ;)  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :) 8) ;) :( :D