ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to setup wireless streaming movies through house?

(1/2) > >>

superboyac:
In past years, I've tried this and never gotten it to work.

I have a folder of video files that I would like to be able to share with other computers.  Now I don't have a network setup up, but I do have a wireless router.  Currently, I have  linksys wireless G router, but I also have this spare Linksys wireless-N router that I've been planning on using instead (I've been too lazy to do the swap and redo all my settings).

The problems I've run into in the past is that the network connection whenever I set it up is always so sketchy.  Sometimes i can't find the computer, sometimes I can't find the file.  Sometimes I find the file, but the connection comes and goes, or it's too slow and the file doesn't play properly.  Sometimes every click on the shared drive takes forever to process.  I've just never had good success doing this.

So I guess the question here is twofold:

--Help me set up a decent network using the wireless router.  The only thing I know of is the Windows simple-sharing thing.  if there is something better, or some nice software that makes it easier, let me know.

--Next, what is the best way to stream the movies?  Is the wireless bandwidth capable of handling a movie?

Thanks!

Shades:
The (wireless) bandwidth capacity from both your routers should be sufficient for streaming.

Having said this, high(er) quality streams require also (a lot) more bandwidth. My own experience with wireless networking is that the speed varies a lot. Having a Linksys wifi router and ditto card in my PC, I was expecting a better troughput than I have. 54Mbit/sec is the max. bandwidth, but there is a lot interference that I gladly went back to connecting a cable!

Video streaming in a LAN is possible with the VLC media player software. One system will act as server and on this machine it is not possible to see the video. Any other PC in the LAN network can use VLC to access the stream. As far as I know, there is a wizard helping you through the necessary steps in version 0.9.5 and higher.

Turn off as much bandwidth gobbeling applications (messengers, browsers, skype etc.) as possible when using this option.

Found the following link on a webmaster forum for an open source full fledged media (flash) server solution: http://osflash.org/red5, maybe that would be something to try.
In any case, I would first make a solution like this work on a network that uses cable to connect computers and only after it is working there to start fiddling with wireless network PC's.

lanux128:
i was trying to do the same some time back but due to my location there is no conclusive solution.

• Streaming movie into living room

mnemonic:
My setup is a Windows Home Server box (although I was fine when I used my laptop and TVersity) linked by cable to the free router from my ISP - a rebadged Netgear DG834GT (when I was using the laptop with TVersity, this was a wireless connection to the router).  I then have an XBox 360 connected via cable to the same router.

A couple of things:

1. Is the router uPNP compatible?
2. Definitely try TVersity and leave Windows Media Player sharing on the host machine alone (my Xbox didn't pick it up half the time).  You should be able to see the TVersity stream from Windows Media Player on the receiving computer.

When I was connecting wirelessly, I rarely had problems with bandwidth.  The only problems were when the laptop had something CPU-intensive running on it and TVersity was trying to transcode at the same time.

phillfri:
Hmmm. I ran into a similar wireless issue in Windows XP a couple years ago. Wireless connection was intermittent. You don't notice so much if you're web browsing, but it can cause issues when streaming. Try turning off Windows wireless zero configuration. Google it. Its out there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version