topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:42 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: a little story about a Blue Screen at midnight  (Read 5907 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
a little story about a Blue Screen at midnight
« on: May 01, 2009, 06:40 PM »
For quite some time I have been recording and downloading audio files for my music collection. Though compressed, this stuff is taking up an awful lot of space, 310 GB, so I came to realize that I had to move the Music folder from the overcrowded C to the empty D drive. Before doing so, I *thought* it would be a good idea to backup the folder, but for some reason I was late for work, so instead of starting up the Backup4all, I simply right-clicked the Music folder and ordered Windows to copy the entire folder to D - thinking this would be as good as any normal backup. Bad idea!

Windows said the job would take about 16 hours, so 15 hours later, shortly before midnight, I sat down and started to rehearse what I would do, when the copying was done. Something at the TV distracted me, and I looked at the big screen across the room, while my fingers were doing 'something' with the mouse at the same time. I am not sure for how many minutes my mind was in this dangerous state, but suddenly I felt my finger slipping from the mouse button, and I looked at the PC monitor to see what had happened. Explorer was parked in Desktop\Curt, and at first I felt very surprised, because where the music folder used to be, I now saw the D drive! Address: Desktop\Curt\D  !!! (The D drive is not listed, if I scroll down and navigate to My Computer\users\Curt\ , only if I look at the top of the tree, in the left margin of Explorer). I looked for the music folder, but couldn't find it, so I started to worry for what on earth my fingers had been doing while I was watching the TV!

I looked at the copy-status and saw there were merely remaining 10 minutes, so I decided to "relax" until then. I looked at the clock to see what time it was, and I saw BetaClock displaying 23:59:57. Then it showed 23:59:58, and then 23:59:59, and of course I expected the digits to then change into 00:00:00.

Maybe I did see the six zeroes for a split second, I am not sure, but at exactly midnight I was given the Blue Screen of Death! Well, now I know the proper name is the shorter form, Blue Screen, no death here, please.

I had no idea what to do, so I chose to kind of forget about it, and told Backup4all to do the job it should had been given in the first place. Ten hours later it said the backup job had failed. Hmm... no panic, almost 300 out of 310 GB isn't too bad.

I have not lost anything, (yet), but I have gained a couple of mysteries. The misplaced extra D drive is acting as if it is the system Music folder. As an example: When I click Properties, it will have this "Placement (or Localization?)" tab informing me that this folder can be moved to another disk if I want to ~ just like a normal 'Music' system folder would have. I did (eventually) find the proper music folder, but when I click Properties, it is acting like any normal folder, not a system folder, (no tab about placement), so I cannot move it the easy, formal way. And something called D:\System Volume Information is denying me to Restore Standard, so it seems I cannot repair this mess (until I get (Vista) SP 2)! ???

---

Were 'you' ever given the Blue Screen, due to a copy job at midnight?  :tellme:

00:00:00   :o
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 07:33 PM by Curt »

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: a little story about a Blue Screen at midnight
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 07:11 PM »
a captivating story! are you writer?

sadly I know nothing about fixing that issue...

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 07:32 PM »
I am not sure what you were doing or how. You completely lost me.

Instead of using the easy formal way, maybe you should have used the easy normal way:

Select the music folder in Explorer and hit Ctrl+C and then open D: in Explorer and hit Ctrl+V.

Once you are sure it has been safely copied over, just delete the original one.

That always seems to work for me.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 07:44 PM »
a captivating story! are you writer?
I am not sure what you were doing or how. You completely lost me.

- I am sure there must be some kind of contradiction here!  :D

---

Anyway, the message got lost in the translation, I think. I am not asking for help to solve my problem, and I cannot tell what I did, because I don't know! But I am curious if 'you' ever were given a Blue Screen, due to copying at 00:00:00 midnight?

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 09:14 PM »
Curt, you have some of the weirdest computer problems :)
- carpe noctem

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 09:21 PM »
I am curious if 'you' ever were given a Blue Screen, due to copying at 00:00:00 midnight?

Miles Ahead could probably tell you what happens "Round About Midnight".
Are you sitting comfortably?
Then I'll begin.  It all started in 1957....

;)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 02:16 AM »
Curt, you have some of the weirdest computer problems :)

- that is a fact.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 02:29 AM »
Would it be possible that you just renamed you Music Folder into 'D' while also moving files ?  Anyway, for big files moving/copying, I have been relying on teracopy from code sectors, it has always worked fine for me, and i usually get the best possible speed, due to clever cache management, according to where the source and destination reside (on same HDD or not.

As for repairing that kind of issue, I usually turn first to TuneUp.  You can grab the 2007 version for free on VNUNet in the recommended downloads section.
.merle1.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 02:34 AM by MerleOne »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 11:39 AM »
- service info:
TuneUp Utilities 2009 is listed at $50, but anyone is offered to get it for $30:

http://www.tune-up.c.../services/uninstall/