ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

a little story about a Blue Screen at midnight

(1/2) > >>

Curt:
For quite some time I have been recording and downloading audio files for my music collection. Though compressed, this stuff is taking up an awful lot of space, 310 GB, so I came to realize that I had to move the Music folder from the overcrowded C to the empty D drive. Before doing so, I *thought* it would be a good idea to backup the folder, but for some reason I was late for work, so instead of starting up the Backup4all, I simply right-clicked the Music folder and ordered Windows to copy the entire folder to D - thinking this would be as good as any normal backup. Bad idea!

Windows said the job would take about 16 hours, so 15 hours later, shortly before midnight, I sat down and started to rehearse what I would do, when the copying was done. Something at the TV distracted me, and I looked at the big screen across the room, while my fingers were doing 'something' with the mouse at the same time. I am not sure for how many minutes my mind was in this dangerous state, but suddenly I felt my finger slipping from the mouse button, and I looked at the PC monitor to see what had happened. Explorer was parked in Desktop\Curt, and at first I felt very surprised, because where the music folder used to be, I now saw the D drive! Address: Desktop\Curt\D  !!! (The D drive is not listed, if I scroll down and navigate to My Computer\users\Curt\ , only if I look at the top of the tree, in the left margin of Explorer). I looked for the music folder, but couldn't find it, so I started to worry for what on earth my fingers had been doing while I was watching the TV!

I looked at the copy-status and saw there were merely remaining 10 minutes, so I decided to "relax" until then. I looked at the clock to see what time it was, and I saw BetaClock displaying 23:59:57. Then it showed 23:59:58, and then 23:59:59, and of course I expected the digits to then change into 00:00:00.

Maybe I did see the six zeroes for a split second, I am not sure, but at exactly midnight I was given the Blue Screen of Death! Well, now I know the proper name is the shorter form, Blue Screen, no death here, please.

I had no idea what to do, so I chose to kind of forget about it, and told Backup4all to do the job it should had been given in the first place. Ten hours later it said the backup job had failed. Hmm... no panic, almost 300 out of 310 GB isn't too bad.

I have not lost anything, (yet), but I have gained a couple of mysteries. The misplaced extra D drive is acting as if it is the system Music folder. As an example: When I click Properties, it will have this "Placement (or Localization?)" tab informing me that this folder can be moved to another disk if I want to ~ just like a normal 'Music' system folder would have. I did (eventually) find the proper music folder, but when I click Properties, it is acting like any normal folder, not a system folder, (no tab about placement), so I cannot move it the easy, formal way. And something called D:\System Volume Information is denying me to Restore Standard, so it seems I cannot repair this mess (until I get (Vista) SP 2)! ???

---

Were 'you' ever given the Blue Screen, due to a copy job at midnight?  :tellme:

00:00:00   :o

housetier:
a captivating story! are you writer?

sadly I know nothing about fixing that issue...

app103:
I am not sure what you were doing or how. You completely lost me.

Instead of using the easy formal way, maybe you should have used the easy normal way:

Select the music folder in Explorer and hit Ctrl+C and then open D: in Explorer and hit Ctrl+V.

Once you are sure it has been safely copied over, just delete the original one.

That always seems to work for me.

Curt:
a captivating story! are you writer?-housetier (May 01, 2009, 07:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
I am not sure what you were doing or how. You completely lost me.
-app103 (May 01, 2009, 07:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

- I am sure there must be some kind of contradiction here!  :D

---

Anyway, the message got lost in the translation, I think. I am not asking for help to solve my problem, and I cannot tell what I did, because I don't know! But I am curious if 'you' ever were given a Blue Screen, due to copying at 00:00:00 midnight?

f0dder:
Curt, you have some of the weirdest computer problems :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version