ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for a text editor that can colorize text

<< < (5/7) > >>

kartal:
Hmm thanks guys but I do not think my main request is well understood. I am not looking for a text editor that can do syntax highlighting. I am looking for an application or text editor that can process text and create semantic blocks that are represented by colors. Syntax highlighting is a very primitive form of what I am talking  about because it is just based on simple word recognition rules. It just colors when there is   a match. I am looking for something that can do and play with color in a more experimental way.

Btw I have been using Pspad for long time, I like it but as I said it cannot do what I am looking for as far as I can tell.

I am hoping that VIM will replace all my editors in the end because it is more extensible than anything on the list plus it has a nice scripting language.

kartal:
tinjaw, I have been avoiding regex for a while but I think the time has come. Vim also supports Regex. Someone in the topic mentioned Editpad pro`s syntax regex editor. I have not checked it out but it look pretty good indeed.

The main problem with syntax highlight stuff is that once you have a template you cannot change the colors, you need to edit the template so it is not really that flexible approach.

fenixproductions:
2kartal
Maybe draw sample mock-up to explain what do you have on mind ;)

This is what I've understood:

Looking for a text editor that can colorize text

Basing on that, text editor with syntaxt highlight could be OK if it allows to use multiple highlighting schemes in one document. It would work with TXT+project files in similar way to HTML (with divs) + CSS.

kartal:
fenixproductions

I guess what I am looking for is an editor that would let me color things freely+based on rules(would let mixed style). The rules should be permanent as most Text editor can do but temporary selections or colorings does not need to be saved with the file since this wouldnot be possible with programming editors.  It just helps to be able to select some sentence or block and color it temporarily, in my case it increases readability. I can use word processing for that but then this is like back and forth between applciations which renders unusable for me.

A I said rule based highlighting coloring is good but it does not let me change things on the fly. For example if I select Python syntax highlighting, I need to stick that if I want to change any color, I need to edit the original Python sytax doc to achieve what I want, whcih is not the way I would like to deal with.

So what you have up there looks like something I can benefit from.

fenixproductions:
So what you have up there looks like something I can benefit from.-kartal
--- End quote ---

If it only exist…

Unfortunately, the picture from above is just and idea (made with Notepad++, Paint.NET and Inkscape).

BTW There was nothing about permanent rules for sections in my mock-up. I admit the lack of description but the way I saw it was that all colouring (both: simple and with syntax) should be based on easily editable templates. Clicking on presented icons would allow you to change colour or rules easily. Of course it could be applied for paragraph, lines or maybe separate words.

I also understand that text cannot store formatting information and that is why I have mentioned "project files".

The simplest way I saw it was: select text, RMB, choose rule (either complex syntax or colour only), done (with some indicators in gutter). That's all.

What I've made is just one fake screen of something bigger.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version