ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting Discovery Involving Rented Servers

<< < (5/6) > >>

hollowlife1987:
OK I have been working on a program that will wipe the disk from within windows and so far it almost works only a few things right now that need to be addressed with it.

1.) Speed - It took over 10 hours to almost wipe a 8GB vmdisk
2.) Possible use in malware -  very easy to wipe the mbr and more with this so far.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I don't know if I will be releasing this due to the possible use in malware.

f0dder:
Hollow, what's the modus operandi for your wiper? Simply opening \\.\PHYSICALDRIVEx: and WriteFile to that handle? If that's the case, then:

1) how are you able to wipe the system disk? you probably aren't going to load new apps while wiping your system partition, but stuff like pagefile or registry access...?
2) don't worry about malware uses, they already know how to cause mischief :)

hollowlife1987:
It opens the disk.sys driver and has disk.sys write to the hard drive(s).
But as i said I couldn't get it to wipe the full disk but i don't know what it missed.

I need to speed it up as testing takes too long 10+ hours.

It uses some undocumented API as well.

Edvard:
Oh, I didn't mean just overwriting the MBR, I meant "place a disk-wiping tool in the MBR bootstrap code" :)
-f0dder (May 01, 2009, 10:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ooh, now that would be cool...  8)

hollowlife1987:
Could do this if my program wont wipe the full drive, as I know it overwrites the MBR very easily

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version