ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

JkDefrag further developed as MyDefrag

<< < (3/8) > >>

rgdot:
I hope this is not a precursor to creating a shareware version. 
-y0himba (April 29, 2009, 07:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

If Mr. Joren Kessels decides to go shareware with MyDefrag, I don't have a problem with that. Since it's his intellectual effort, it's only fair that he should get to decide how he wants to release it.

-40hz (April 30, 2009, 09:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not saying this is what is happening to JkDefrag but this kind of action when and if it happens is the very worst kind of decision, makes me shake my head when I hear some developers say "time constraints" or something similar. If you are serious about an app you are writing you should expect it to take lots of time (and by extension money and all that) and yes even for years to come. I have absolutely no problem with shareware but decide from the beginning.

f0dder:
One category would be software that places files or notations below the Windows OS, we know there are categories of software that are defrag-sensitive, perhaps in the virtualization or sandbox world, perhaps with some programs that write directly to disk, perhaps .. conceivably .. with special markers like serial #'s placed hidden that were ultra-security sensitive (I am guessing a bit).
--- End quote ---
I don't think this is an issue today. The only time I've seen software that needed stuff to be on special locations on the disk has been with software protection, and I haven't seen that since the Win9x days... except for a very few protections that probably aren't used today, and those depended on writing to the "reserved first cylinder" of the drive, which isn't touched at all by defragging.

or looking for bad sectors (remember how the Windows defragger would often simply not function due to wanting the perfect chkdsk)
--- End quote ---
That was on Win9x and didn't have to do with bad sectors, but rather the filesystem metainfo. This was because Win9x didn't have a defragging API, and the defraggers had to access stuff directly (and thus re-read the FS metainfo if they sensed changed). Almost a bit amazing that there were so little disk writes going on that this worked at all :)

One way to look at it is that on our systems file I-O is so far below memory usage and CPU exhaustion and internet connections and other bottlenecks in causing any actual noticeable speed bumps .. that tweaking a bit faster file I-O, while nice, will make little practical difference.
--- End quote ---
Dunno if I agree with that - in most systems I'd say that disk is actually the bottleneck. And once things get fragmented enough (or you run multiple I/O threads), even a raptor disk that can do 90MB/s sustained drops to less than 1MB/s :) - of course that's on an über-pessimized system, you won't really see much advantage from defragging a 100-fragment 10-gigabyte file to one single fragment.

This scheme makes it so the OS doesn't need to worry about heads and platters, as we used to have to do with MFM and RLL drives.
--- End quote ---
IDE drives can still be addressed through Cylinder/Head/Sector notation (until you hit the max size limit and have to go with LBA), but even then the drive internally convers the CHS to a LBA, and then to it's internal physical structure :)

Proximo:
I am a big JKDefrag user and sure how "My Defrag" is only a name change.  I don't care much for shareware.

MilesAhead:
Speaking of MyDefrag, I'm trying it out now. But it seems like it want scripts and you have to pick drives by category.  I'm using the predefined "fast optimize" script but it wants to do all the HD partitions and the drive I have in the USB Docking station.

Ain't there a way to tell it just to defrag C: ??  Sheesh!!!

mahesh2k:
Posted by: MilesAhead Ain't there a way to tell it just to defrag C: ??  Sheesh!!!
--- End quote ---

This MyDefrag script will work just fine for that.

VolumeSelect
  Name("c:")
VolumeActions
  FileSelect
    All
  FileActions
    Defragment()
  FileEnd
VolumeEnd
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index